Which language to use at home with baby?

My wife’s native language is Chinese. However, because she has spent half of her life in the States, she forgot how to read. (She still reads novels in Chinese, but can’t pronounce the characters, which is why I’m the one who helps our kids with their Chinese homework)

I’ve tried to have her teach our kids Chinese lit (because her Chinese is obviously better) but she just looks at the page and understands (more accurately, “guesses”) the meaning… but she can’t explain individual characters.

1 Like

I am curious about why wheny ou read to the child them om must translate right away into chinese. Seems this might create a dependence on both Chinese and mom, rather than a fluency in english. Just a thought. Not meaning anything negative, just curious as to why that would be beneficial.

1 Like

because 100% fluency in both languages is our goal, and we are moving to the USA in a few months so I’m not worried about the English part

1 Like

I think what @Explant is trying to say (and I agree) is that you should practice both languages independently, not use one to translate the other.
Suppose kids are finding hard to lean English. If they know they’ll get a Chinese version of what was just said, they can just zone out during English time.
It doesn’t seems very effective for learning both languages.

we already do that

Good for you then! :+1:
That was not clear on your previous post.