Which Visa: APRC, JFRV or Citizenship

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“speed_maniac”] I realised that even the APRC is still not the solution…

like some of the others before me I too have applied for Taiwanese citizenship and will get my ID card next year…my work, my life everything is here and having an id card was the only way for me to go…

so it all depends…like they say one man’s food is another man’s poison!![/quote]

See an ID card really is worth it. :smiley: :smiley:[/quote]

I am not arguing with that, however, my wife does not approve my surrendering my US citizenship to get it, so I am currently with the APRC. Don’t expect any problems though on my next trip which is in about two weeks.[/quote]
I would agree with you on that one. If you give up your US citizenship there’s no way to ever get it back.

Aussies, Brits and Saffas are able to. Granted, for a Saffa it’s a mission to go home for an extended period to resume, but at least we have that option.

What’s your wife got to do with it?

It’s not her citizenship to give up.

What’s your wife got to do with it?

It’s not her citizenship to give up.[/quote]

Are you married? No reason to cause a row in the family unnecessarily until she can be brought around. I think she wants to make sure any future children we have (if any) will have US citizenship. She also wants to make sure we all have an out in case Ma or some later KMT successor gives up Taiwan to China.

Yes I am married. I live in Alishan in my wife’s tribal village. We dont care who runs the country they are all the same.

You should welcome a China invasion, would give the yanks something to do in Asia they have been bored to death with no wars recently in Asia/

Ah so… she married you to get a US green card, smart lass. :smiley: :smiley:
Of course she doesnt want to to give that up and take away her chances of getting a green card or US citizenship.

We all have an out… divorce and death are some of the better options.

Lurve ya signature…

[quote=“Satellite TV”]
Ah so… she married you to get a US green card, smart lass. :smiley: :smiley:
Of course she doesnt want to to give that up and take away her chances of getting a green card or US citizenship.

Lurve ya signature…[/quote]

1. If she wanted US green card and citizenship, why are we living in Taiwan? She doesn’t even want to go back to the US save to bring the children there to see meme.

2. Divorce is not an option for a faithful Catholic.

3. Not funny.

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Satellite TV”]Ah so… she married you to get a US green card, smart lass. :smiley: :smiley:

Lurve ya signature…[/quote]

1. If she wanted US green card and citizenship, why are we living in Taiwan? She doesn’t even want to go back to the US save to bring the children there to see meme.

2. Divorce is not an option for a faithful Catholic.

3. Not funny.[/quote]

4. If you are living in TAiwan then why do you need US Nationality? Just tell her your going ahead with your renounciation to become and ROC National. See what her reaction is like… go on be a man about it ffs

5. Bollocks… I know plenty of Catholics who got divorced. My oldest sister had a Catholic church approved anullment.
    Divorce is just as common amongst Catholics as any other people.

6. But perfectly true, for you at least, but not for others.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]

1. If you are living in TAiwan then why do you need US Nationality? Just tell her your going ahead with your renounciation to become and ROC National. See what her reaction is like… go on be a man about it ffs [/quote]

Because I travel a lot and some of the countries I visit are far easier on a US passport than on an ROC passport.

[quote]2. Bollocks… I know plenty of Catholics who got divorced. My oldest sister had a Catholic church approved anullment.
Divorce is just as common amongst Catholics as any other people.[/quote]

But are their faithful Catholics? If they are getting divorced, then obviously they are not faithful to the teachings of the Church as I endeavor to do in my witness.

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Satellite TV”]

1. If you are living in TAiwan then why do you need US Nationality? Just tell her your going ahead with your renounciation to become and ROC National. See what her reaction is like… go on be a man about it ffs [/quote]

Because I travel a lot and some of the countries I visit are far easier on a US passport than on an ROC passport.

[quote]2. Bollocks… I know plenty of Catholics who got divorced. My oldest sister had a Catholic church approved anullment.
Divorce is just as common amongst Catholics as any other people.[/quote]

But are their faithful Catholics? If they are getting divorced, then obviously they are not faithful to the teachings of the Church as I endeavor to do in my witness.[/quote]

so people who get divorced are not faithful Catholics? As long as I follow the book to the last letter I am considered to be faithful even though my mind maybe filled with all sorts of corrupt thoughts?

I am faithful to GOD and listen to my conscience which to me is the only thing that I need to live a correct life…

[quote=“speed_maniac”]

so people who get divorced are not faithful Catholics? As long as I follow the book to the last letter I am considered to be faithful even though my mind maybe filled with all sorts of corrupt thoughts?

I am faithful to GOD and listen to my conscience which to me is the only thing that I need to live a correct life…[/quote]

If you get married in the CHurch and then you get divorced, you are not allowed to remarry in the Church. Marriage is one of the seven sacraments. Breaking the sanctity of a sacrament would fall in my definition of not being a faithful Catholic. However, it isn’t my place to judge — just saying…

How did my thread on JFRVs, APRCs and/or citizenship morph into what it means to be a good Catholic?

Besides which, regardless of how good or bad a Catholic you are, if your Taiwanese wife decides to divorce you your JFRV is out the window. And despite things like refusing to be divorced etc etc, here she could make your life so miserable that agreeing to divorce will seem like a sweet deal. There are a legion of threads on this on the Flob.

So regarding visa types vs citizenship, religion is very much unimportant in the big scheme of things. And apart from that, the JFRV seems very risky when one considers that if your spouse dies you’re equally up shit creek without a paddle.
The JFRV has it’s good points, but unless you have Taiwanese dependents to fall back on in the unfortunate event of a death, I don’t see it as a very good option.

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“speed_maniac”]

I am faithful to GOD and listen to my conscience which to me is the only thing that I need to live a correct life…[/quote]

If you get married in the CHurch and then you get divorced, you are not allowed to remarry in the Church. …[/quote]

Bollocks, my eldest sister got a catholic church approved divorce and another catholic church approved marriage… 2nd marriage going on 35 years.

She is still a practicing Catholic.