White corn meal (mealie meal)

Dear friends. I’d like to buy white corn meal, but I’m not sure where to look for it. I believe farmers in Taiwan do grow white corn (nomi yumi), so if even if it isn’t possible to get the finished product, I could buy the corn and grind it myself. I’m planning to make umpokoqo.

Don’t all shout at the same time.

Is that kinda like ‘Grits’?

It takes real meal to make a real meal.

You know the train station?

Head south from the station until you get to Kaohsiung and turn right.

Then head west (about 12,000 kms). When you get to Egypt, turn left.

Keep going south and you’ll start seeing mealie meal in everyone’s cooking pots after about 2,000 kms.

You can’t miss it.

[quote=“zender”]You know the train station?

Head south from the station until you get to Kaohsiung and turn right.

Then head west (about 12,000 kms). When you get to Egypt, turn left.

Keep going south and you’ll start seeing mealie meal in everyone’s cooking pots after about 2,000 kms.

You can’t miss it.[/quote]

Go and jump into one of those pots, clever Jack.

Good luck buying mielie meal. Doubt you’ll find it. Get your Mum or your friends to send you some. That’s what I do. You could also just buy dried “corn” and crush it with a mortar and pestle.

Would cornmeal or grits be a decent substitute?

Is that kinda like ‘Grits’?

It takes real meal to make a real meal.[/quote]

I’m not sure what “grits” are. If it’s a white corn product, I think I might be able to use it. If it’s not fine enough, I could grind it a little more in my own grinder. What is it and where can I get it? Thanks Charlie Phillips.

Thanks top Mr. He too.

I have seen grits, IE cornmeal in Ai Ga foods, which is a shop in Zhongli, catering to foreigners and bakers. There are surely similar shops in Taipei, and they should have it or something similar.