White spots on shoulder?

This is weird.

Just the other day I noticed a big patch of white spots behind my shoulder–upper back, I guess. It doesn’t itch and the skin texture hasn’t changed, there’re just, well, a lot of funny white blotches on me and it seems a little weird.

I plan to have a dermatologist check it out as soon as I have time. But for now, has anyone else had anything like this? Might it be a fungus of some sort?

Time for some magic tea tree oil?

might be vitiligo. i have it all over my hands and toes and one huge white patch under my armpit.
untreatable and only noticeable if i’m tanned. however, there is one lotion called Protopic that is slowly repigmenting a white spot on my elbow.

Tell Loretta to use some Head & Shoulders.

Could be PV, Pitiriasis versicolor, check this site:

dermnetnz.org/fungal/pityriasis-versicolor.html

Can’t do much :s

Ew. Dermatologist next week.

Maybe tinea(or pityriasis) versicolor. A fungal infection of the skin.

It’s so humid here that you go moldy. :stuck_out_tongue:

If it is then no need to worry.
Take pills or a apply a topical antifungal cream for a few months and it’ll be gone.

However, this fungal infecction often recurs when the weather is humid again.

The dermatologist will surely have a solution for you. :wink:

Did you finaly find out what it was?

[quote=“bushibanned”]might be vitiligo. i have it all over my hands and toes and one huge white patch under my armpit.
untreatable and only noticeable if i’m tanned. however, there is one lotion called Protopic that is slowly repigmenting a white spot on my elbow.[/quote]

I have a big white patch on my thigh that’s been there since I was a teenager. It’s never really bugged me but I’m starting to feel a little more self-conscious about it. Where can I find thsi Protopic lotion and how quickly does it work?

At any pharmacy in Taipei. Elidel isn’t as greasy but is more expensive… around 700NT. You can also get it from any dermatologist if you want NHC to cover the costs. It doesn’t work very quickly and sometimes not at all. If you have vitiligo they say these kinds of topical lotions need to be used right at the onset. Best to see a Derm. about it. I stopped using it a few years ago.

It’s funny you say that, as I had exactly the same problem once during the summer a couple of years ago. The dermatologist gave me cream and pills which killed the fungal infection dead after a couple of days. The pigmentation took a few months to return as the doctor said it would. I was told it is the very same fungal growth which is responsible for dandruff, it lives beneath the skin usually and doesn’t effect everyone, as even though every single person on the planet has it, we don’t all share the same skin conditions, which means that only some people’s skin offers suitable conditions for the infection to come to the surface and cause either dandruff on the head or the skin whitening problem if it is on the body. I never had dandruff, only the body whitening, and the cream and pills worked like a charm. My doctor told me that I hadn’t had symptoms before perhaps because I hadn’t been sweating so hard as I was that year at the gym. He told me to stay in the air conditioning more often to help alleviate future problems and that I could perhaps shower every now and again with the shampoo brand “head and Shoulders” as the active ingredient for the anti dandruff agent was the very same as what was in the cream he gave me. I haven’t had any problem since that time and I don’t shower with the head and shoulders any more either. I guess I just happened to have exactly the right conditions for it to come out back then and haven’t had them since, but apparently we never get rid of the fungus, it simply lays dormant most of the time. It frightened me when I had it though as at first I started looking like a deep space nine character with leopard spots, and then after a couple of months I had enormous white patches which would turn red when my skin was hot during exercise.
I hope you have the same problem as I did as although it was a bit scary the entire issue was solved easily and completely went away.