Who are the traitors that abandoned Taiwan and support Communist China?

Does anyone have data of which Taiwan citizens betrayed Taiwan by directly supporting Red China like Joseph Tsai, but also who closed their businesses in Taiwan putting locals out of work and setting up businesses in China. Around Taipei I see abandoned factories, which makes me sad. I first came to Taiwan in 1988, and at that time the whole tone of the place was cheerful and busy. The economy was vibrant. Now, it is so dead.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Taiwan’s economy is doing well. People are healthy, live long normal lives.

Unemployment is low.

6 Likes

I chose Taiwan in part because it was one of the only economies (the only?) forecast to grow in 2020 (2021?). Definitely down here in Kaohsiung there is building happening all over the place and no empty stores. People seem to be going around spending all the time. From what I read here on the flob wages are going up for everyone>

Of course there are Taiwanese who see their future in China, can’t blame them but yeah I can see why that seems traitorous (sp?)

1 Like

Hello Marco. It is a comparative statement. Check with a few Taiwanese at least 60 years old and you should find they will agree. Red China had not stolen production from Taiwan. Greedy Taiwanese had not flocked to China. Products in the shops were “Made in Taiwan”.

1 Like

It was also a period of a legitimately 3rd-world country suddenly flush with investment and rocketing up to 20th-century modernity. There was little regulation. It couldn’t last forever, and shouldn’t have.

5 Likes

You’re telling me because Taiwanese have moved on from $2 US an hour jobs that this country is dead.

Country is at full employment. There arent more people for factory work.

No economist worth their salt would say we should go back to that.

1 Like

To the other part of his question. Is there a public list of traitors? Moving a, factory is a stretch. greedy sure, immoral most likely. But there are a number of people that opened up there trap and started running their mouth about 1 china propaganda. They are outspoken, self identifying traitors.

If there isnt a list, lets start one.

Ill start.

1. President Ma
  2. Ke P

The govt doesn’t allow factories in Taipei city.
Nevertheless you probably picked up on the fact that investment is not flowing into Taipei environs to a large degree. It’s population has aged a lot also.

However massive waves of investment have been flowing into Taichung , Hsinchu , Tainan and Kaohsiung. You are just looking in the wrong place.

There are very few factories abandoned in Taiwan. There’s a lack of industrial space.

5 Likes

Huang An

The 西進 period of Taiwan cash moving to China has been reversed and now companies and money is moving back. They are building new science parks across the country.

Low-end manufacturing isn’t moving back though
There aren’t going to be new toy factories in the Taipei area

2 Likes

What?

柯文哲

Perhaps he is comparing this way because in the wild west days of taiwan anything went. Now there is a far more strict word of law so a lot of illegal factories are now abandoned and littered everywhere . Not great but not bad either. I could see how passers by would see that and think, what happened? I think very few can deny taiwan has actually been going in a very good direction since. With a small dip during President Mas reign of selling out. We have rebounded and exploded since that asshole though.

If we can just get our pollution issues under control we will be rocking it!

Yeah why is he a traitor?

Illegally factories have always been everywhere in Taiwan, working and also abandoned. Abandoned buildings have been part of the scenery here always. If anything there are less of them now.

For the OP and anyone else who thinks the wild and woolly 1980s were the good old days, I’d recommend you have a look at this compelling documentary, directed by Ke Chin-yuan and released in 2018, on the environmental movement in Taiwan.

This movement sprung up in Lukang in 1986 and quickly spread around the nation. It makes a compelling case that the push back against developmentalist thinking was crucial for us to keep Taiwan as a liveable place.

Guy

Thank you.

Probably because the word of law has come in with excavators and police haha.