Who can I call for computer help, in English?

Dear Friends:

Is there a number I can call where an English speaker can help me with computer problems?

My problem specefically:

I just got a brand new lap-top.

I know the software works as I tried it out using wireless and was able to get online.

When I took it home and plugged it into my modem, I got a message telling me that “I’ve got a hardware problem with my modem, or connecting divice.”

I think this is impossible, as connecting a modem to a computer is very easy (one cord).

There may be an issue with a password or “logon” name, but i don’t see what that could be as I use the same info my former roommate used when he got online and nothing has changed.

Thanks.

You need to run the software that goes with the modem. You might be able to find it online of you go to the home page of the ISP and can read Chinese :laughing:

If you have done that and it still does not work I assume you have ADSL.
1st check that there is a dial tone.
2nd it might work if you put a router between the computer and modem.
3rd run the software for the modem and ISP that you are using.

[quote=“tristach”]Dear Friends:

Is there a number I can call where an English speaker can help me with computer problems?
My problem specefically:
I just got a brand new lap-top.
I know the software works as I tried it out using wireless and was able to get online.
When I took it home and plugged it into my modem, I got a message telling me that “I’ve got a hardware problem with my modem, or connecting divice.”

I think this is impossible, as connecting a modem to a computer is very easy (one cord).

There may be an issue with a password or “logon” name, but I don’t see what that could be as I use the same info my former roommate used when he got online and nothing has changed.

Thanks.[/quote]

tristach, can you give us some more info please. We might be able to sort this out for you here.

• Firstly, is it ADSL?
  • Secondly, since you already had that modem, did you have another computer connected to it that worked? Is that computer still there?
  • When you plug in your laptop, do you just unplug your old computer and then plug in your laptop to the same connection?
  • Was your other computer always connected to internet as soon as you switched it on, ir didyou have to go through a connection procedure?
  • Who is your connection through? (Hinet, for example)
  • Can you post the exact error please.

However, if you want to pay someone to help you out, apparently the guy mentioned here is very good: [url]Computer Repair Service in Taipei Wouldn't Take My Money!

Stu

Get in touch with Nam, from NationWide.com.tw. He’s extremely helpful! :thumbsup:

Get in touch with Nam, from NationWide.com.tw. He’s extremely helpful! :thumbsup:[/quote]

I talked with Nam on the weekend…I’m buying something from him. He got caught in a grease fire and is in the hospital. They might have to do a skin graph on his arms.