Who can I call for computer help, in English?

[quote=“tristach”]Dear Friends:

Is there a number I can call where an English speaker can help me with computer problems?
My problem specefically:
I just got a brand new lap-top.
I know the software works as I tried it out using wireless and was able to get online.
When I took it home and plugged it into my modem, I got a message telling me that “I’ve got a hardware problem with my modem, or connecting divice.”

I think this is impossible, as connecting a modem to a computer is very easy (one cord).

There may be an issue with a password or “logon” name, but I don’t see what that could be as I use the same info my former roommate used when he got online and nothing has changed.

Thanks.[/quote]

tristach, can you give us some more info please. We might be able to sort this out for you here.

• Firstly, is it ADSL?
  • Secondly, since you already had that modem, did you have another computer connected to it that worked? Is that computer still there?
  • When you plug in your laptop, do you just unplug your old computer and then plug in your laptop to the same connection?
  • Was your other computer always connected to internet as soon as you switched it on, ir didyou have to go through a connection procedure?
  • Who is your connection through? (Hinet, for example)
  • Can you post the exact error please.

However, if you want to pay someone to help you out, apparently the guy mentioned here is very good: [url]Computer Repair Service in Taipei Wouldn't Take My Money!

Stu