Who do you look up to?

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Right now it’s Johnny Cash. What a wonderful human being.

HG[/quote]

Why would Jonny Cash be someone you look up too? Just curious :wink:[/quote]

JC MADE music as we know it.

“I fell into a burning ring of fire.”

whoohoo

If you don’t know johnny, you missin out. :notworthy:

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Right now it’s Johnny Cash. What a wonderful human being.

HG[/quote]

Why would Jonny Cash be someone you look up too? Just curious :wink:[/quote]

JC MADE music as we know it.

“I fell into a burning ring of fire.”

whoohoo

If you don’t know johnny, you missin out. :notworthy:[/quote]

Sorry if I’m being rude, but old country music, that is before crossovers like Shania and the Dixie Chics, = asskickin’ from a redneck :roflmao:

Sorry Nama, just posted more in an edit above. I hope that explains it but I think overall it’s all about humanity, passion and humility.

Seriously, despite a redneck fan base, he was in absolutely no way a redneck. He defied them on every turn. If only the hicks had’ve listened to what he said.

Mind you, I have no idea how he viewed black people.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Sorry Nama, just posted more in an edit above. I hope that explains it but I think overall it’s all about humanity, passion and humility.

HG[/quote]

Okay I’ll read the wiki when I have time, because the movie “Walk the Line” was utter crap. It portrayed him as a small man, esmasculated by his father, druggie, and hopelessly in love with a woman that was always out of his reach for a time. I hated it. Poorly done if you say he is a person full of humanity, passion, and humility.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
Mind you, I have no idea how he viewed black people.

HG[/quote]

Well in the movie, it hints that his daddy didn’t care for them too much. Hence one might project that he didn’t care for them either. But that would be projecting.

I’m quite sure there was a lot of conditioning, he was from some hill billy joint, Arkansas? (scuse me, but I’ve never been to the states but his accent sounds hill billyish, though I reckon it’s very sexy). However, he did advocate rights for American Indians and prisoners. He also wrote The ballad of Ira Hayes, at a time when it really wasn;t sexy to be speaking about injun issues, so I’m guessing he might (incredibly) pass muster on the race issue too.

[quote]And when the fight was over
And when Old Glory raised
Among the men who held it high
Was the Indian, Ira Hayes

[CHORUS:]
Call him drunken Ira Hayes
He won’t answer anymore
Not the whiskey drinkin’ Indian
Nor the Marine that went to war

Ira returned a hero
Celebrated through the land
He was wined and speeched and honored; Everybody shook his hand

But he was just a Pima Indian
No water, no crops, no chance
At home nobody cared what Ira’d done
And when did the Indians dance

[CHORUS:]
Call him drunken Ira Hayes
He won’t answer anymore
Not the whiskey drinkin’ Indian
Nor the Marine that went to war

Then Ira started drinkin’ hard;
Jail was often his home
They’d let him raise the flag and lower it
like you’d throw a dog a bone!

He died drunk one mornin’
Alone in the land he fought to save
Two inches of water in a lonely ditch
Was a grave for Ira Hayes[/quote]

People I knew that have liked Cash said the movie was crap.

I’m quite sure there was a lot of conditioning, he was from some hill billy joint, Arkansas? (scuse me, but I’ve never been to the states but his accent sounds hill billyish, though I reckon it’s very sexy). However, he did advocate rights for American Indians and prisoners. He also wrote The ballad of IRA Hayes, at a time when it really wasn;t sexy to be speaking about injun issues, so I’m guessing he might (incredibly) pass muster on the race issue too.
[/quote]

This is sooo :offtopic: but doesn’t it seem ‘convenient’ for artists to incorperate what ever the hot topic is of the times. I don’t know if he really cared, but whatever is going on at that time, artists tend to use it consciously and unconsciously to their benifit.

Muammad Ali

Fidel Castro

Royce Gracie

Cesar Millan

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Muammad Ali
[/quote]
Much agreed. I love people who truly defy convention and stare it down in it’s face. :bravo: :bravo:

He was on my short list. A leader of kindness in a world of violence.

No, as I said, Cash was talking about the treatment of American Indians way before it was “cool.” His fan base were cowboys, so it was in fact economic suicide. Read about him. While he played the music the so called rednecks liked, he never pandered to them. His last album was produced by a rapper, in part because country music labels dropped him. Yet he still won country music awards.

It really it is a pity that whenever film makers want you to understand a character is a redneck they inevitably play Johnny Cash music. It really is quite bizzarre when you look at the man’s actual politics.

HG

Edit: [quote]Muhammad Ali [/quote] Oooh, When we were kings. Wow!

Ooooh, I have most of her records… She is talented and cool.

I don’t think I look up to anyone. I respect and admire a good number of people… but that is for their own personal achievements and how that have lived their lives… I don’t necessarily look to any of them for any sort of guidance… inspiration, perhaps.

I have always like Alan Page… he was an outstanding defensive lineman for the Minnesota Vikings… after retiring from football, he became a lawyer and then (and now) a judge. I’ve known that about him for a long time, but today i learned much more about his time playing in the NFL and the struggles he coped with, and the way he handled all of the same… he was/is one cool cat. Although he was winning all kinds of defensive player awards, he wasn’t getting any endorsements like some white players were getting… so he started selling cars in the off-season (NFL players didn’t make so much money back then)… he always liked cars and eventually got into drag racing stock cars for fun… while he was still playing, he became a leader of the players union and was instrumental in getting players more rights back then… while still playing ball, he later decided to go to law school and became a lawyer and then a judge. I respect a man like this. Judge Page did things his way all the time, yet managed to excel per the standards set by others. While still playing defensive line for the Vikings, he began long-distance running as a hobby, and as a result, while most defensive linemen were bulking up and becoming sumo-like, Alan Page slimmed down to 235 lbs and yet remained very effective for 12 seasons.

Sure, there are lots of other people I respect and admire… but, I cannot write about all of them.

I chose Ali because, no matter what huge obstacle he faced, he found a way to overcome it, be it poverty, racism, injustice, or the most feared puncher on the planet. I am still convinced he will beat Parkinson’s syndrome, though, seeing as he is, by all reports, the happiest man in the world, maybe he already has. :wink:

[quote]Elvis was a hero to most
But he never meant shit to me you see
Straight up racist that sucker was
Simple and plain
Mother fuck him and John Wayne
Cause I’m Black and I’m proud
I’m ready and hyped plus I’m amped
Most of my heroes don’t appear on no stamps
Sample a look back you look and find
Nothing but rednecks for 400 years if you check
Don’t worry be happy
Was a number one jam
Damn if I say it you can slap me right here
(Get it) lets get this party started right
Right on, c’mon
What we got to say
Power to the people no delay
To make everybody see
In order to fight the powers that be[/quote]

Public Enemy “Fight the Power”
came to mind suddenly. It was such the anthem of the summer of the 90’s when Afro-centrism was in full vogue.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
HG

Edit: [quote]Muhammad Ali [/quote] Oooh, When we were kings. Wow![/quote]

As black folk say “yes indeed, yes indeed!!!” :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: Fine ass piece of work!!!

Ooooh, I have most of her records… She is talented and cool.

I don’t think I look up to anyone. I respect and admire a good number of people… but that is for their own personal achievements and how that have lived their lives… I don’t necessarily look to any of them for any sort of guidance… inspiration, perhaps.

I have always like Alan Page… he was an outstanding defensive lineman for the Minnesota Vikings… after retiring from football, he became a lawyer and then (and now) a judge. I’ve known that about him for a long time, but today I learned much more about his time playing in the NFL and the struggles he coped with, and the way he handled all of the same… he was/is one cool cat. Although he was winning all kinds of defensive player awards, he wasn’t getting any endorsements like some white players were getting… so he started selling cars in the off-season (NFL players didn’t make so much money back then)… he always liked cars and eventually got into drag racing stock cars for fun… while he was still playing, he became a leader of the players union and was instrumental in getting players more rights back then… while still playing ball, he later decided to go to law school and became a lawyer and then a judge. I respect a man like this. Judge Page did things his way all the time, yet managed to excel per the standards set by others. While still playing defensive line for the Vikings, he began long-distance running as a hobby, and as a result, while most defensive linemen were bulking up and becoming sumo-like, Alan Page slimmed down to 235 lbs and yet remained very effective for 12 seasons.

Sure, there are lots of other people I respect and admire… but, I cannot write about all of them.[/quote]

Well Alan Page fullfills your particpation requirement for black history month. :roflmao:

As for Sade being one of my ‘heroes’ you could always hear in her music, a sense of empathy with humanity in her voice.

Diana Washington
Nancy Wilson
Two women who just put it out there but with love

Stray Dog

I dont’ love Ali because of his obstacles,but his audicity to tell the world that he was beautiful. That he was the greatest. He didn’t care about what other people thought about him. He had self esteem when black folks were desperately serching for it as a collective group. His strength to say "this is who I am and I love it " was and is soo sexy it. Something I hope to live up to.

Me, too. Especially since he finished out his career playing for the Chicago Bears.

I always thought it was cool that a defensive lineman would wear the number “82.”

Imagine 235 pounds and playing as a defensive tackle in the NFL. But Page was always quick on his feet–maybe the distance running helped with that–and he had so much experience. He always made at least one big play a game, and he was great at batting down passes as he pressured the QB.

The Bears defensive line of 1981 was pretty darned solid:

RE Al Harris 90. DT Alan Page 82. DT Jim Osbourne 68. LE Dan Hampton 99

His legacy should be to convince us that we are ALL that beautiful.

Me, too. Especially since he finished out his career playing for the Chicago Bears.[/quote]

This I didn’t know. I hold my head in deep shame :blush: being that I am from Chicago

His legacy should be to convince us that we are ALL that beautiful.[/quote]

Yes that is true, but at the time he was saying it , it was a BOLD statement. And gave people hope, well black folk at least. But as someone who was born after all that mess, it still resontates with me. Because it such a powerful affirmation.