Who is Penwen Chen and what's he doing on my Mac?!

I was just doing some house keeping on my Mac and noticed this on my login items:

I did a quick search and found that some Taiwanese people online seem to also have the same thing on their Macs. There is a PTT thread about it, but nobody could explain its origin.

I regularly factory reset my Mac OS install due to security concerns, and don’t install much of anything other than a few necessary applications. In fact the only semi unusual software on my Mac now are all the different applications/certificates needed for the various citizen digital certificate logins to work (JCIC, NHI, Labor Pension, MyData, etc), and given the Chinese name of this piece of software, I’m guessing that it belongs to one of these, and the Penwen Chen is the name of a developer who created it. I know a few of you regularly use the various citizen digital certificate websites (@slawa, @fifieldt, @Mataiou, @Andrew), if any of you guys use a Mac, would you mind checking if you also have this weird background item?

If I can’t figure out its source by end of day, will probably just presume I’m compromised and re-install Mac OS again, it’s been a couple months since I did that anyway. Love a fresh start.

4 Likes

Have no idea, don’t use Mac for accessing tw bureaucracy

2 posts were split to a new topic: Not useful advice from tech certificate

There is another background item that definitely is for one of the citizen digital certificate login applications called “zsh” or at least that is what it appears to be linked to.

Doesn’t inspire confidence that it is from an “unidentified developer”…

2 Likes

I have just checked my 3 that I use currently and he isn’t invited, but I don’t use any of these.

I will check my wife’s 2 when she gets home and see, if I was you I would turn it off re boot and try using the bits of software.

if you open Terminal and enter “sfltool dumpbtm” then enter your password you will get a lot more information on background tasks. Wade through it you may find out where its from.

3 Likes

This was useful, thank you.

It looks like it is for the NHI login tool.

9 Likes

yes just found some information for you

https://medium.com/@Kawayan.Lin/三步驟分享如何在mac上移除健保卡網路註冊服務的元件-b387d34b85a7

2 Likes

Really is not surprising at all that NHI would give their process a name like this. Sigh.

1 Like

He wants the recognition so named it after himself (or started as a test project then couldn’t be bothered changing after).

Mystery solved, time for a cup of tea
:teapot:

2 Likes

I don’t use a Mac either or I’d check. I use the NHI app on my phone and don’t think I’ve installed a login tool on my PC, unless some other piece of software forced me to (which I will probably have deactivated from running at startup).

Seems irritating. Looks like you’ve figured it out though. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

never managed to get it work.

me too

It looks like that this is some developer’s personal certificate though. Which is a bit dodgy. Surely NHI should have their own certs for this kind of thing.

4 Likes

not dodgy, just chabuduo. usual TW

Paging @au:sunglasses:

sending a mail is better

1 Like

Thanks! Done!

#burnerphone