Who is Richard Hartzell?

That is an issue of your country. I think it would be better taiwan allows immigrants to renounce their original citizenship after they get a full citizenship, but it is not the same with allowing keeping dual citizenship.

I agree that the so called passport is not a passport, but you can get visas if you really want to become a taiwanese citizen.

Iā€™ve got no issues with thatā€¦(not allowing dual nationality)
If only Taiwan was fair and applied that to their own citizens too instead of being hypocrites.

Itā€™s good so they can load up on Western passports while not extending the same courtesy. See the recent thread on the major discrepancy between the number of Canadians Taiwan thinks it has vs what Canada says are living here.

I know that the UK and possibly other countries also allow you to reclaim citizenship after you have renounced it.
What you need is for the UK amongst other things,
ā€œan official letter or statement from the country youā€™re currently a citizen or national of saying that if you hadnā€™t given up your British citizenship youā€™d have lost or failed to get your current citizenship or nationalityā€.

for UK citizens just plan a year travel free then restart your collection of passports.
Maybe a good idea to get one for a EU country as well for after Brexit :grin:

In other words, no difference.

Your open work permit counts for nothing? (Or you donā€™t need one because youā€™re married to a Taiwanese cow?)

@tando is there a list somewhere of all the differences between the rights you have with an APRC vs. an ARC?

That depends on (1) the definition of the West and (2) the definition of easy.

Does the West include the Caribbean? :desert_island: :sunglasses:

Is ā€œinvestmentā€ easy? :money_mouth:

:ponder:

As had been discussed in other threads, mainlanders apply for household registration, not exactly ā€œcitizenshipā€.

What perks do Japanese get?

I think @Brianjones pointed that people from countries that donā€™t allow renouncing their citizenship/nationality for taiwanese citizenship can get dual citizenship/nationality. Japan is one of them.

BTW, Mainland China and Japan are third world countries?

Iā€™ll look for it.

1 Like

There are over 20 thousand ROC citizens holding passports of my birth country. There are like 15 of us here and the hoops we have to jump do not make it in any way fair or comparable. That is one point.

Even with ID in hand, you are in danger of losing it all by any malicious gossip accusations.

APRC has the same problems as ARC regarding your legal and what I call commercial rights. Example: phone lines, banking, investment, loans, etc. Yes, there are options, but not such a free market.

And before they kick us out for complaining, well, too many people invest 20 or more years of our lives here. We care. We want to stay. We do not live abroad and parachute for dental work or have our corns removed. We contribute. Why do we have to beg for a piece of the action?

3 Likes

I think one country doesnā€™t need to make the process of naturalization easy because the process of the other country is easy. If the other country feels it unfair, the country has the right to change it harder for people from any specific countries. It is common countries have different processes for people from different countries.

I think this is about fraudulent marriage or adoption. I think this situation can be avoided by mandate to make the accusation with an obvious evidence and give heavy punishment to any accusations lacking evidences.

Except Taiwan is the one that always bangs on about reciprocity, of course when it suits them.

1 Like

Again, we need a campaign to ban Taiwanese from settling in the USA, except for pro basketball players and Confucian missionaries.

2 Likes

One way to put pressure that Iā€™ve considered is writing each and every MP back home to let them know the situation and while likely nothing would be done one or two may try to contact the government here to inquire. Would be good for public shaming possibly

Under the new so called citizenship for professionals, they are essentially looking for people with PhDs in technology and science extremely high up the totem pole, the kind of people that wouldnā€™t want to come here in a million years due to career suicide.

If someone attempts to apply as a professional the government department will stonewall them for months than finally send a rejection letter saying you are not professional enough

2 Likes

Itā€™s ironic that the kinds of foreigners Taiwan wants to attract are way out of its league. I hope that at some point Taiwan will realize that itā€™s just not that hot and settle for losers like us. :grin:

2 Likes

Like all those ugly girls I turned down to go after the hottie who turned me down because Iā€™m also ugly. :slight_smile:
True story

Ha. Iā€™ve actually been pretty damn accepting of Taiwanā€™s myriad flaws, and I think it should be just as accepting of mine. I guess it just hasnā€™t been snubbed by enough high class foreigners yetā€¦but itā€™s only a matter of time.

Moreover, Taiwan is not only not attracting any reasonably competent labor, but worse: losing its own faster and faster.

Those warped laws, obscure and unfair, will only be used by non scrupulous officials. Eventually, when they run out of public figures to canonize, eh sorry give nationality too, donā€™t you think that they will go for sale under the table to who knows who?

For the rest, marriage will be an option to stay. That is a big problem. Let me tell you a story: my Taiwanese pal who was kicked out when her legal work visa was cancelled not by her company but by officials filling a quota, one US citizen told her: oh, but you can get married. A pretty girl like you can go to any bar and pick a husband.

Now I leave it to you all to tell me why she was infuriated at this demeaning suggestion. And I leave to you then to see how this is related to marriage previously discussedā€¦and what Tando said about only fake marriages would be affected.

I think Mr H finally got his citizenship!!!
I doubt heā€™ll ever see this but: Congratulations, you totally deserved it!

2 Likes

Since when did random foreigners gaining citizenship become news-worthy?

1 Like

Because as random as it is, you get better odds playing lottery than getting the nationality of a place they made home and have more attachments than others that claim to rule because of an emperor`s whim.

Because until we have clear rules, the disparity between the hundreds of thousands, probably millions, of Taiwanese who collect passports like soccer album stamps, and the rest of us who must beg tp roll the dice is a pain on the side of human rights. It stinks.

That said, Hartzell and many others who have fought for human rights here should have received honorary citizenship a long time ago. It is overdue but enhorabuena.

2 Likes