Who is Richard Hartzell?

I’m talkng about local citizens enjoying multiple nationalities, new immigrants having to renounce their original citizenship.

1 Like

Which documents are your base to say most part of my reply is wrong?

I checked this one from 外國籍人士與國人結婚申請歸化 中華民國國籍暨戶籍登記流程表(內政部106年10月製表)

https://www.ris.gov.tw/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=048ee13c-9ba0-4cec-8b51-cc902e48309a&groupId=10157

You don’t even know the documentation or process but have been busy telling us how easy and reasonable it is.

When called out on it you said ‘they can always apply for an APRC’

What a joke.

Do you know how to become a naturalized US citizen? Comparing to it, I’d say becoming a Taiwanese citizen is easy.

And US doesn’t give a right to become a president to naturalized citizen, no matter how long they live there. Isn’t it a bullshit?

Its not easy to become a naturalised citizen of Taiwan .

Full stop.

Dawud and myself are still waiting for your likes and appreciation in taking our time to explain the process and pitfalls.

By the way my relative got a US passport in just over five years residency there and he still has his original citizenship. So, no it’s a lot easier than Taiwan (I am here almost twenty years and paying tax and married for most of that).

1 Like

I think my description on the process is the same with Dawud’s. Which part is different?

It depends on your condition. If you can give up your passport, and can stay for 1 year, I think taiwanese citizenship is eadier.

You didn’t describe any details what are you talking about.

1. You apply for naturalization.
  2. Once it is approved, you should stay for 1 ~ 5 years with a passport without an ID number. During this period, you can keep your original passport for 1 year.
  3. Submit the certificate of giving up your original citizenship.
  4. After this period and giving up your original citizenship, you apply for a full citizenship.
  5. You can get a passport with an ID number.

Something is wrong?

i get it. i looked at this site http://dlgimmigration.com/united-states-citizenship/list-of-countries-that-allow-or-disallow-dual-citizenship/ and it looks like it’s almost 50/50 with countries that allow/don’t allow dual citizenship,taiwan’s not included in this list.

i get it, that it’s a hassle for you or in fact for anyone that wants to be a taiwanese citizen. and i think it’s also unfair that everyone can obtain citizenship in a western country relatively easy but not vice versa.

but i think allowing dual citizenship is a double-edged sword. it has become so easy for foreigners to obtain citizenship in western countries, some feel like it’s merely a paper of privileges and rights but no duties. look at germany for example, hundreds of thousands of turkish immigrants with german citizenship who worship erdogan and would love to see germany go down in flames.

i would rather have it the other way. if you want to become a citizen, you have to really prove it and that might include some hardship.

1 Like

Its not easier.

Germany and Turks isn’t a great example to be honest.

not at the moment, but they were welcomed 40-50 years ago with open arms.

i’m just saying, countries should be careful who they give citizenship to and therefore not make it too easy, that’s just my opinion.

another thing is giving permanent residency such as in aprc. in that case you should be given equal rights as a taiwanese citizen, eg. open bank accounts,buying property,etc on your own but without the right to vote.

that would sound fair to me.

that sounds fair to me too. But it’s a different issue from allowing to keep original citizenship for immigrants who want to be naturalized.

I thought it’d be only @mad_masala who requests a like for his own post, but you too. Though I have known the proccess before and after the recent law change, I’m appreciating your time for the conversation in this thread.

Okay, this is going to be a little arcane, but if your original citizenship is US, then this would be true of you ultimately “renounce” your citizenship. Renunciation is one of 7 possible ways to lose citizenship. You can also relinquish on the basis of having acquired some other nationality, PROVIDED that you did so intending to lose your US citizenship. (This is the result of court cases.) This means that if you intend to relinquish on this basis–which used to carry some advantages, not sure if it still does–then your argument (that you intended to lose US citizenship when you acquired the new citizenship) would be undone if you continued to use your US passport, i.e. claiming one of the benefits of US citizenship.

Other Western countries vary a lot (but are usually easier), and sometimes allow their renunciates to re-acquire their nationality.

most people are satisfied with those basic rights given under (my previous mentioned perception of) permanent residency. but if you really want to go the whole nine yards, you should be ready for some nerve-stretching bureaucracy. if you’ve managed to live here for x years, you sure can wait for that paper another 2-3 years. otherwise i suggest you just live and behave like a guest here.

My claim is that while you are a national without a household registration you don’t need to renounce your citizenship for 1 year and you can get a full citizenship after being a NWOHR for 1 year or 5 years. Is it wrong?

Typically renunciation / relinquishment takes some months, so you’d need to start early in order to produce a certificate by the end of the year. (If the other government drags its feet, Taiwan will understand that and give you an extension. Does this mean you can delay starting the process up to a year? Dunno.) The US government will, on request, let you keep using your passport until approval comes in from DC.

But wait! If you leave Taiwan on this passport, then your one year turns to two years (or more, depending on how long you stay away). So there’s no escaping being in “passport jail” for a year. On the other hand, some countries will probably accept a Taiwan passport without ID number, if you apply for a visa first. Another strategy would be to apply for a permanent residency visa from some country where these are relatively easy to get, then change passports.

1 Like

I don’t think Turks were welcomed, wasn’t that the infamous longterm guest worker programs where even their kids didn’t get citizenship ?

You get a year to produce the application of citizenship renunciation to the authorities. You need proof that you applied already by then and they are processing it.
Some developing countries like Brazil allow a ‘forward dated application’ and the authorities here accept that (the official showed me an example of this looked well dodgy).

Obviously most developed countries would not accept a forward dated renunciation of citizenship .

Obviously people who are professionals may need to travel for work and can’t be locked down for a year or two years… Total joke that whole temporary passport thing. Even the officials admitted that the so called passport is not a passport.

Oh, that’s brilliant!

In theory, you might be able to finagle a return of the US citizenship (easier to do if you chose some avenue other than an oath of renunciation), if you could argue that your decision was made under some sort of duress (perhaps you were following the orders of your cult), or without full understanding of the consequences. It would be a crap-shoot, though.