Who sends their kids to international schools, anyways?

The English test is a joke, as all international schools offer English support programs.

For example, check the TAS Grades 1-3 EAL program - this is clearly aimed at non-native English speakers:

The primary goal of EAL support at TAS is to help language learners develop language skills that will allow them to be successful in their academic work as well as in everyday communication.

As stated earlier in this thread, I think it’s ridiculous that international schools are so full of Taiwanese children that children of foreign parents have to attend local Taiwanese schools.

Note, this is not just due to entrance requirements, but also due to how international schools are seen as “elite” which means there are no schools of this type with affordable schools.

That’s interesting. Maybe he gave up his Taiwanese passport/citizenship?

I am questioning how you do not know it is legally possible. lol

No, he did not.

1 Like

Well even my son who has Taiwan National Passport can get an ARC if he wanted to.

1 Like

Nonsense. What about all those people born in Taiwan as citizens who enter on a foreign passport. It’s not like place of birth is not written on their passports lol

Just because you were born in Taiwan doesn’t mean you have Taiwanese citizenship. They could have renounced it. Or maybe they never applied in the first place.

A lot of foreign parents children attend local schools. My son went to local schools only having foreign citizenship. He finished his 5th and 6th grade at the elementary school in Alishan in the village where we live.

1 Like

Yeah OK lol Point is that ROC citizens can obtain an ARC. They can enter Taiwan on foreign passports.

1 Like

for nationals without HHR, there is no restriction which passport you use to stay in Taiwan.

The same for people with HHR and ID cards. I can enter Taiwan on my foreign passport if I want to. But then I need to leave and can only be here as a tourist.

How about for nationals with ID and HHR? Can they apply for an ARC if they also have a foreign passport?

Didn’t you read this reply? I don’t think they explain on their official site how to do an illegal thing.

As explained in the site I linked, they should move out their HHR to get ARC, and there are some restrictions on male nationals with HHR at certain ages.

1 Like

People born here as children of citizens don’t apply for citizenship. Yes before 2000 to ROC fathers only.

Maybe the parents aren’t citizens. You can’t know that just by looking at the birthplace in the child’s passport.

Yeah just like my son hahahahaha

2 Likes

Well we are not talking about foreigners or people without citizenship. Your argument which has been proven to be incorrect is that citizens cannot get an ARC or enter Taiwan on a foreign passport.

You have been told they can. Why do you keep asking. FFS Steve Chen of you tube is Taiwanese and has an ARC

Didn’t see your link until tando quoted it again.

Interestingly, TAS have removed the foreign visa/ARC requirement for admission in the past few years. They were the last holdout of this old rule.

This post quoted the TAS website in 2019:

Q. Must a student hold a valid foreign passport and visa to enter the school?

A. Yes. This is required by both the ROC government and TAS admission policy. No exceptions are made.

Compare with the latest TAS website - mention of “visa” is removed:
https://www.tas.edu.tw/admissions/application

Q. Must a student hold a valid foreign passport to enter the School?

A. Yes. This is required by both the ROC government and TAS admission policy. No exceptions are made.

OK. So Roc citizens the only ARC they cannot hold is APRC. They can have others. They can enter Taiwan on foreign passports even as tourists as my sons mother has done when her Taiwan passport had not been renewed. My son has entered and left on Taiwan passport and Australian passport.

I have multiple citizenships but since I naturalized I have not entered Taiwan on a foreign passport. I can if I choose to.

3 Likes