Who sends their kids to international schools, anyways?

After reading that, I decided to check the list of famous TAS alumni. Surprise surprise, it’s all Taiwanese nationals who ended up working for Taiwanese companies or in the entertainment industry:

TES doesn’t have a list of notable alumni on their Wikipedia or website. I assume that means there aren’t any.

1 Like

Well my wifes cousin and her husband did visit TL to look at his guitars. Then he closes shop.
Anyway after cousins husband wins the golden horse award for 2023 they now arranged a music concert in our village this weekend. They are bringing some well known other music and TV producers and staying at our place this weekend. Networking and all that jazz for those in the industry. Music concert was postponed was going to be last weekend but Typhoon ruined that.

1 Like

You’re missing the point. The point is, in a thread discussing what’s special about Taiwan, that it’s not that hard to make NT$1 million per year. That’s in the U.S., naturally, where even fast food and Walmart workers earn that, as demonstrated by the fact that he was making less than two-thirds of that amount working at Walmart. But it’s also totally doable in Taiwan, where everyone earns NT$30k per month and his own business proved quite a struggle.

Or something like that. What aren’t you getting? :roll:

I thought this changed to students only requiring a foreign passport.

For example, Morrisons is a registered international school and does not require an ARC under Supporting Documents. Edit: there’s also no requirement for parents to have a foreign passport:

It appears seems the bigger oversubscribed schools like TAS are still enforcing the “must have an ARC” rule, but out of choice.

For TAS

Q. Does the school offer a higher admissions priority to USA green-card holders (permanent residents) or for those who work for a USA based company?

A. No. The only documents used to establish a student’s priority status are the parents’ passports.

Q. If my child holds an American passport, will it increase his/her chances of admission?

A. No. TAS was founded to meet the needs of expatriates coming from abroad to work in Taipei, which is why the School uses the citizenship of the parents to establish the admission priority system.

1 Like

I believe they have relaxed the law. To my understanding you still need to have a foreign passport but you don’t need to be living here on an ARC if you have Taiwanese citizenship.

if the kid has a visa on a foreign passport to show to the school, it seems ok to reside as a Taiwanese.

Could be. In any case as for my sons case they looked at the parents citizenship. Due to my unusual circumstances having naturalized and the fact my son did not have ROC citizenship he was accepted. He did a placement test and interview as well. But as he had been in Australia for a couple of years his English was not an issue and even though he did 5th and 6th grade in Alishan his academics was not an issue either. He is not a native speaker of English as he did not learn it or speak it until he went to live in Australia.

So the title is who sends their kids to international schools, anyways?

People with the money do. It’s pretty simply really.

Here’s the relevant law:
https://edu.law.moe.gov.tw/EngLawContent.aspx?lan=E&id=43

To qualify as an “international student”, the child needs to satisfy one of the following:
A. Never held ROC nationality
B. Holds ROC nationality, but also holds another nationality AND has lived outside of Taiwan for 6 continuous years.

This is actually scary if accurate, as it means that children who were born and raised in Taiwan with mixed foreign/Taiwanese parents can’t apply for international schools.

Meanwhile, Taiwanese who move aboard, have a kid, then move back 6 years later in time for 1st grade can apply. In fact, the law appears to have been relaxed specifically for this group of people.

1 Like

Nothing scary about that at all. The children like my son are not holding ROC citizenship. They also can choose any local school to go to which citizens cannot, they can homeschool their children which citizens cannot. They can like my son go to international schools. My son also born in Taiwan.

1 Like

Yeah Taiwanese just up and leave Taiwan for 6 years so their kids can get foreign citizenship then move back to Taiwan so they can spend lots of money going to an international school when they could just remain living overseas with better schools?

I’m not saying people do that, I was just pointing out that the rules seem messed up.

A 6-year old child with a foreign parent who was raised in Taiwan does not quality for international school enrollment. Meanwhile, a 6-year old child with 2 Taiwanese parents does quality, as long as the child was born overseas.

It seems like the international school system is biased towards enrolling Taiwanese kids rather than children of foreign heritage.

1 Like

It is not the rule on international schools. on foreign students studying at Taiwanese schools as international students, who are accepted with special rules different from local students.

Here is the one on TAS, TES like schools
Regulations for the Establishment and Management of Private Elementary Schools, Junior and Senior High Schools, and Affiliated Preschools for International Residents

If parents were foreigners, even kids without foreign passport can be accepted.

A child, whose father and mother were originally foreign nationals, but later both acquired the nationality of the Republic of China, may be deemed to qualify for quoting the relevant rules with respect to the children of international residents to register with a SIR to study, regardless if that child only possesses the nationality of Republic of China at the time of such registration, as long as the registration with the SIR takes place within fifteen(15)years of the latest effective date of father’s or mother’s naturalization to become a national of the Republic of China.

1 Like

Greatest country in the world. Amen. Proud to be #1.

At least we have safe and reliable access to contra - oh.

scribbles notes for later :notebook_with_decorative_cover:

Satellite knows people in the music industry

Ok, carry on.

The way you describe it sounds like the international school is “biased” towards kids who lived internationally. Doesn’t sound that strange.

I believe this is referring to foreign university students who come to Taiwan to study in local universities.

Check out this list of alumni at Harrow school for the same yearly price as TES. Everyone from Winston Churchill to Benedict Cumberbatch along with hundreds of top scientists, engineers, world leaders and royalty from the last few hundred years.

1 Like

Several of the articles on the page refer to elementary school, junior high school, and high school.