Who sends their kids to international schools, anyways?

My web browser isn’t showing me the full text because the formatting is messed up, so I can only see the part about local universities.

This part defines who can apply to a local university as a local student, and who can apply to that same local university as an international student. I don’t see anything about qualification for international schools.

This thread is about who can study at international schools. If you see something in this law about international schools, then please quote it directly.

I’m not disputing that you’d get a better education at Harrow (the UK version!) but I’m not sure how relevant having famous alumni is. I bet the average wealth of a TES or TAS alumni is far higher than an old Harrovian and that probably counts for more in Taiwanese society.

1 Like

Cool let’s all send our kids there.

Article 2 gives the rules for admission into an educational institution as an “international student”. No mention of which level of education.

Article 4 states these rules apply to “international students at universities, two-year technical colleges (hereinafter referred to as “Universities/colleges”), five-year technical colleges, subsidiary technical colleges of universities, senior high schools, and private junior high and elementary schools”.

So I assume this covers international schools.

The only other laws I can find are these, about establishing an international school.

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=H0060006

This page defines an international school as:

Private elementary schools, junior and senior high schools, and affiliated preschools for international residents (hereafter abbreviated to “schools for international residents”, “SIR”, and in some contexts referred to as “a school” or “schools”) in the Republic of China (hereafter also abbreviated to “ROC’ or “Taiwan”) which may only admit students holding foreign nationality

Again, no mention of ARC - students just need a foreign passport.

1 Like

I don’t think so. International schools are usually their own thing, and have separate regulations governing them.

Right. So not this:

My point was that the above regulation governs local schools instead of international schools. My point wasn’t whether it is a university or high school or whatever.

1 Like

I already posted on the law covering the international schools.

The law you posted is an old version.

MOE Regulations Regarding International Students Undertaking Studies in Taiwan
Date: 2010.12.30

The current version is here.
Regulations Regarding International Students Undertaking Studies in Taiwan
Amended Date:|2022-12-29|

Article 1 of the law says

These Regulations are formulated in accordance with the provisions of Article 25, Paragraph 3 of the University Act, Article 32, Paragraph 1 of the Junior College Act, Article 41, Paragraph 1 of the Senior High School Education Act, and Article 6, Paragraph 3 of the Primary and Junior High School Act.

Article 83 of Private School Law says

Citizens of the Republic of China, foreigners, and foreign legal persons legally accredited to do so may set up private elementary schools, junior and senior high schools, and affiliated preschools in the Republic of China, exclusively for students with foreign nationality.
The private schools referred to in the preceding paragraph are not subject to the provisions of this Law or other laws governing educational institutions of all levels

So, the Regulations Regarding International Students Undertaking Studies in Taiwan are not applied to international schools.

The article 83 also says

The regulations governing the eligibility, requirements, and procedure for applying to establish the schools and preschools referred to in the first paragraph, the establishment criteria, their supervision, ceasing admission of students, and other associated matters shall be prescribed by the Ministry.

That is the Regulations for the Establishment and Management of international schools.

3 Likes

How are they making this much?

Taiwanese people can homeschool their kids

1 Like

If they are mixed, how are they not holding Taiwan citizenship?

A Malaysian with a British person is mixed. Who said they have to be mixed with Taiwan citizens? Children born to foreign fathers before 2000 with Taiwan mother were not granted Taiwan citizenship. Just like Tommy.

2 Likes

The person you were replying to

No kids currently in school are affected by the law that affected Tommy and your son so not really relevant now, right?

Yes sorry I stand corrected. Law was changed a long time ago.

This company helps Taiwanese kids get into international schools within Taiwan - they’ll even help you buy a sham passport:

https://www.newoverseas.com.tw/

Really makes you think…

1 Like

i vaguely remember him stating his father only gave him a little money each month… like 30k or so… oh and a lump sum to stay out of jail. I have asked him directly but he sidesteps or outright denies everything.

1 Like

This is what I have noticed from my experience as well.

Also on the point of ARC, my kids are dual citizens so I don’t remember this being a requirement for admission.

Which post are you responding to? Nothing you quoted mentions ARC.

The multiple posts above talking about an ARC on foreign passport required for admission.

Ok. I think it’s already been established in the posts above that ARC is not a requirement for international schools here.

it is.
https://tes.openapply.com/pages/8462

It was brought so many times I felt the need to clarify that an ARC was never asked for and my kids applied to a few of the international schools.

1 Like