Who to go to if my landlord does not deal with my neighbour's loud barking dog?

Please advise.

I am making videos of the noise and sending them to the landlord.

Hopefully this can be dealt with.

You could buy a 12V 140dB foghorn and then get an Arduino to detect loud barking and then activate the horn.

6 Likes

I think you need to call the citizens help line. 1999.

3 Likes

First mistake is making it your landlords problem. Expect more problems if you get pushy and assume other people will fix it. In many ways, taiwan is far more direct and realistic compared to the west. In cases of noisy neighbours, your problem to solve. In in that situation it depends how much you, and your neighbours, care about the dog. Usually there is no good outcome to such a situation. The culture, treatment of animals and how you and them [probably] communicate make it an incredibly hard situation to navigate. So much so, accepting dog barks might be easier.

2 Likes

Or moving to another place.

4 Likes

Don’t do this.

be better off getting to know the neighbors and the dawg and finding out what the issue is and solving it yourself if possible. Probably save time too.

Move. Anything else will just prolong your agony, send your landlord a message stating that you are giving one months notice as required by law and expect a full return of your deposit.

2 Likes

OP have you actually confronted the neighbor yourself?

2 Likes

What’s the dog barking for? My dog sometimes bark when people are out in the hall outside the door. Not much you can do unless you give them a distraction.

No illegal suggestions please.

5 Likes

My temped poisoning comment was tongue-in-cheek. I think it’s relevant here, as I’ve known 2 disputes in Hualien County that were ultimately ‘resolved’ in this way.

The offending dogs were both poisoned, by unknown parties. One died, one survived.

The best advice has already been given. Just move.
Doing anything else will just prolong your agony, and it’s unlikely the owner will bother / or be able to take any action.

1 Like

Yeah we lost a dog to poisoning once. Neighbors were fed up with him getting out and getting in their rubbish.

Pretty horrified how widespread this problem is, out in the countryside. Sometimes deliberate targeting, other times - well, I don’t know. Trying to stop rats?

Anyway, a barking dog. Is he chained? If so, unchaining him might work. But some dogs just bark here at anything and everything, and if they’re adult they’re going to be very hard to re-train. And you’re not even their owner.

There is no solution here except to buy noise-cancelling headphones, or just move on.

1 Like

Ya, poisoning is a real problem both accidental and intentional. I have lost a number of pets as well to this. Not just dogs, cats, birds, fish etc all get the short end of the stick when humans are too immature to solve their own problems :frowning:

Is your landlord also the landlord of the place where the dog is living?

Or are you actually asking your landlord to go talk to some random guy down the street to keep his dog quiet because it annoys you ?

I can’t see how this possibly could be your landlords responsibility(unless he’s the landlord of both of you - but even then …)

1 Like

This.

Perhaps the owner doesn’t know how much trouble their beloved pooch is causing!

Saw a thing on TVBS where some guy is hanging around a neighborhood throwing bricks at dogs.

Definitely do not recommend this.