Who wants to be in charge of Iraq and Afghanistan?

Not me! Not me! Not me!

[quote=“Washington Post: 3 Generals Spurn the Position of War ‘Czar’”]The White House wants to appoint a high-powered czar to oversee the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan with authority to issue directions to the Pentagon, the State Department and other agencies, but it has had trouble finding anyone able and willing to take the job, according to people close to the situation.

At least three retired four-star generals approached by the White House in recent weeks have declined to be considered for the position, the sources said, underscoring the administration’s difficulty in enlisting its top recruits to join the team after five years of warfare that have taxed the United States and its military.

“The very fundamental issue is, they don’t know where the hell they’re going,” said retired Marine Gen. John J. “Jack” Sheehan, a former top NATO commander who was among those rejecting the job. Sheehan said he believes that Vice President Cheney and his hawkish allies remain more powerful within the administration than pragmatists looking for a way out of Iraq. "So rather than go over there, develop an ulcer and eventually leave, I said, ‘No, thanks,’ " he said.[/quote]

That’s pretty clear.

Fred, maybe if you go in with a plan to add Pakistan and Iran to this mess Dick’ll do you a good turn. Did you ever party with George… you’ll be a shoe in.

With a Demo controlled Senate & House why should they set themselves up to have the rug pulled out from under them?
And “War Czar”? Ridiculous name.
A position such as this would be a guaranteed ‘down in flames’ episode. Not too many retired 4 stars are going to bite that cookie.

And considering this is the same Tom Ricks who said top Israeli officials told him that the Israeli gov’t wanted more Hezbollah missiles to hit civilian areas to drum up support for the invasion into Lebanon last summer. No agenda there…no buddy!
But he’s certainly entitled to his opinion.

From a military person:
[i]"Apparently, the new office would direct the entire GWOT, in the same manner the ODNI now directs national intelligence collection.

Which is to say, it’s another layer of bureaucracy that doesn’t control spending, hence it doesn’t control anything, but merely complicates an already complicated process. All this new office would be is another point to CC on emails. Of course, there will be endless turf battles, new staffs to fill, and more reports no one will read generated. All said and done, the new czar will be a very expensive figurehead.

If CENTCOM needed some help, they should have gotten it. Adding another thick band of red tape as a band aid isn’t going to solve anything."[/i]

A bad idea all the way around.

Never stopped you before.

Why not dig up Nicholas I and see how he gets on?

Thats whats funny about you bob…even though you might have absolutely nothing to say…you’ll still say it.

news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070411/wl … 0411153716

Amnesty says Egypt rights situation getting worse

Time to rev the spin machine, plant some WMD in Cairo, and get ready for a regime change. C’mon, Fred, you with me and Bush on this one?

No, no, Jack… they’re hurting the right people. They don’t get invaded, they get aid and invites to the ranch.

Says the poster that keeps on posting lengthy articles usually without any commentary about the content or nothing but irrelevant pictures. :unamused: