Who was the last good Republican president?

Who was the last good Republican president in terms of reasonably good job performance?

• Lincoln
  • Teddy Roosevelt
  • Eisenhower
  • Nixon
  • Ford
  • Reagan
  • Bush Sr.

0 voters

Who do you think was the last good Republican president in terms of job performance?

I have to pick Eisenhower. He was a man of exceptional character and integrity, and a wise president. He didn’t accomplish a whole lot during his presidency (he spent much of his time playing golf with Bush’s grandfather). In other words he was an average president.

But he did show wisdom and restraint in the decisions he made. He refused to commit American troops to Vietnam, as the French requested him to do at Dien Bien Phu. Eisenhower knew a military disaster in the making just by looking at a battle map, and knew the terrain of the country was unsuitable for conventional warfare. It would wear down division after division of American troops. Even MacArthur warned Kennedy never to commit to a land war on the Asian mainland.

Ike also brought down Joe McCarthy by not giving him attention. Eisenhower knew that the only way to give a scoundrel legitimacy is by granting him public attention. He worked behind the scenes to bring down McCarthy. Many Americans wanted Ike to challenge McCarthy directly, but Ike did not want to give McCarthy all the attention a big public argument with the president would bring. Eventually time will destroy him.

Eisenhower sent 15,000 American soldiers to Lebanon on a non-combat peacekeeping mission there. Within 3 months, they were out of the country after restoring order there, suffering just one casualty.

Ike was upset by the actions of Britain, France, and Israel in sending troops to invade Egypt in 1956. He wanted to settle the Suez Canal dispute with diplomacy before the Soviets exploited the situation for political gain. As Eisenhower predicted, invading Egypt badly tarnished the reputations of Britain and France among Arab nations.

Last of all, Ike created the Interstate Highway System that made it possible for Americans to travel across the country. The downside was it helped aggravate sprawl.

Of course many of you will disagree with me on Ike.

There hasn’t been a Republican president who even approaches “good” since Eisenhower, but Ford was at least somewhat inoffensive.

What the hell did Gerald Ford ever do beyond trip over his shoes on the golf course?

I like Ike.

I’ll agree with the assessment for Ike; he was probably the last one that really performed up to expectations.

On a side note, Bush Sr. was not that bad. He had to focus and handle the dismantling of the USSR without the world going into mass panic. It was a tough situation for any president to have to handle.

Trick question?

perhaps Ike. I could go for that if i had to. Plus, he reminds me of simple wholesome well-designed Scandinavian furniture for some reason.

After the last two presidents I’ve given up on presidents. I don’t need one anymore. They’re anachronisms in an age of instant global communications.

The whole idea of “leaders” was never much good anyway, human nature being what it is. Give a human being a little power and they’re inevitably soon partying with the national rent money.

You’re free. Forget presidents and all that crap. Seize the moment.

Agreed, but too bad he had to vomit in front of the Japanese prime minister. Remember that photo of the Japanese prime minister cradling the president’s head in his lap?

Well, Reagan’s controversial support of the Strategic Defense Intiative contributed to the collapse of the USSR. That’s gotta count for something.

USSR experts believed they would have collapse on their own without the jellybean hording President giving performances, as if they would be nominated for Oscars.

The experts disagree, but most of the histories I’ve read do consider Reagan’s massive defense spending to be a contributing factor, including Russian sources. I don’t think anyone doubts that the USSR’s collapse was predominantly internal. Their military expenditures had created huge budget deficits, they refused to enact economic reform, and their occupation of Afghanistan had caused deep political divisions among the leadership and disillusionment among the people. But by escalating the Cold War rather than choosing the easy path of détente, Reagan accelerated their economic decline and political dissolution.

So when is our preoccupation with Iraq and Afghanistan…(and maybe Iran)…going to cause the collapse of USA.

I really don’t want to be standing in long line at Walmart getting toilet paper…not that isn’t happening now at Walmart on the weekends already… :laughing:

[quote=“gao_bo_han”]Well, Reagan’s controversial support of the Strategic Defense Intiative contributed to the collapse of the USSR. That’s gotta count for something.[/quote]GBH -
Funny this should come up…

[quote]‘Star Wars’ Indeed
By INVESTOR’S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Wednesday, October 03, 2007 4:20 PM PT

Security: Perhaps you haven’t heard, since the media would rather ignore the success of what they’ve derided since Ronald Reagan floated the idea 24 years ago, but America now has a working missile defense system.