Why are Chinese liquors so strong?

It seems most exceed 55% alcohol by percentage. Could this be because Chinese history has been so hard and traditionally people want to drown their sorrow as quickly as possible when they drink?

Unlikely. When times are really hard no one can afford to drink.

Most exceed 55%? i don’t know if that’s true.

But one of the main reasons might be temperance and prohibition in the West.

In the old days American whiskey was routinely 50% or more. Rum was generally more than that. To be ‘navy strength’ it had to be over 57% so that if spilt on gunpowder the powder would still ignite. Gin was often navy strength also and premium gins usually still have a bottling of 47% or so. Absinthe was often over 70%.

After prohibition was lifted, there were limits, and I think you’ll find that in most states, as well as many other countries, the taxes on percentages over 37% or 40% are very high. So Western consumers have got used to that as the new standard strength for spirits.

I think the more interesting question is: “Why am I too weak for Chinese liquors?”

To compensate for the fact that they taste like paint thinner mixed with soy sauce?

It’s because the glasses are so small. Chinese glasses/cups are very small, so the liquor has to be strong.

There are no wine glasses or beer glasses/steins, etc., in Chinese culture, so the liquor is made to suit the shot glass.

It’s a simple matter of the content has to fit the receptacle.

It’s because the glasses are so small. Chinese glasses/cups are very small, so the liquor has to be strong.

There are no wine glasses or beer glasses/steins, etc., in Chinese culture, so the liquor is made to suit the shot glass.[/quote]
Complete and utter nonsense. They make it strong so that I’LL buy it. Otherwise the economy would collapse. :2cents:

There are no wine glasses or beer glasses/steins, etc., in Chinese culture, so the liquor is made to suit the shot glass.[/quote]
Complete and utter nonsense. They make it strong so that I’ll buy it. Otherwise the economy would collapse. :2cents:[/quote]

See my edit: i.e: the content is to suit the receptacle.