Why are old threads being moderated / deleted?

Tonight I’ve seen several old threads (from 2002-2006) get “bumped for moderation” and then deleted.

Several of these threads were pretty negative about Taiwanese in general (“Taiwanese and Money”, “Taiwanese and Lying)” but they were also interesting and offered valuable culture insight. Also they were all several pages long and contained hundreds of posts - seems a shame just to chuck all that info away.

Can someone explain exactly what’s going on?

The info certainly was not “chucked away”. It was probably moved to another forum or merged with existing threads. Really, us moderators are not as God-like as people would like to believe. NOTHING gets floundered or deleted apart from double posts, spam or severely objectionable stuff.

Good question.

They were being moderated (it’s more helpful to all of us if threads on the same topic are merged), but nothing was deleted. Anything you saw bumped has now been merged into one of these two threads.

The Face Thread: The Face Thread :facebook:
Is Chinese Culture All about Money? Is Chinese Culture All about Money?

Just trying to be useful.

The reason why you see the threads “bumped for moderation” is that they are brought up from the archives to make it easier for moderators to merge. If they suddenly disappear in the “New” selection, it’s because the work has been done and the moderator has removed his/her “bump”. Therefore the thread will pertain to the last post made therein, which may be quite old and not show up on the “New” page.

Kudos, mod-dudes. That’s a lot of work.

[quote=“ThreadKiller”]Good question.

They were being moderated (it’s more helpful to all of us if threads on the same topic are merged), but nothing was deleted. Anything you saw bumped has now been merged into one of these two threads.

The Face Thread: [The Face Thread :facebook:
Is Chinese Culture All about Money? [Is Chinese Culture All about Money?

Just trying to be useful.[/quote]
This is what makes a great moderator. If any of you think you’ve got what it takes to be a moderator, feel free to PM me.

Anthony

[quote=“maoman”]
This is what makes a great moderator. [/quote]
Geesh! Where are MY recommendations? :bluemad:

jimi is OK most of the time. :neutral: