Why are people so different at work and in life?

They call it the M society… nothing for the middle class, as there is no middle class no mo. Talk shows have entires programs about this. How for exmaple you have restaurants either for 100 … or 1000 ntd. If you price your restaurant at 400, you will fail. Etc. ad nauseum.

1 Like

Oh in taiwan I’ve gotten the “I have no interest in selling to you” from owners, when I have shoed interest,. heck, when I already have my cash/credit card in hand. I do not get it. Mostly it happens in those mom and pop places where nobody ever buys -and they wonder why. They simply cannot bother. Mainly, they use their business as front for watching TV. They know they have it made with their gazillion zillion property so whatever.

YES.
I mostly go to restaurants with pricing between 100-250.
They tend to fail in our neighbourhood as you know.
The new local nice coffee shop won’t survive because it prices itself at 100 ntd a coffee. We will see. Uncomfortable positioning .

My wife heard a lot of restaurants aren’t doing well recently. Not sure if true or not.

In nepotism and corruption, sorry to say, it is Latin American level… but more efficient.

The people working at McDonald’s in HKG were actually pretty nice.

I actually gave them a card that didn’t have wireless pay and they kept putting it over the sensor, but nothing was happening. I was ready to get scowled at, but the dude didn’t say much and I swiped it and the transaction went through. He even told me to have a nice day haha

I remember in marketing class many years ago they explained how the Rolex watch can’t ever go on a big sale otherwise it devalues the brand.

I thought I knew rude until I went to Korea.
Everyone else seems nice by comparison. I was never so happy to kiss the ground back in Taiwan when I returned.

The server’s and salespeople look at you like they are doing YOU a favor by serving you. No thank you for coming, just side eye that you disturbed their day. Happened at multiple places.
That and people deliberately plowing into you since they think you move too slowly.

Vietnam the people are nice but a bit aloof. But knowing the history it makes sense. A lot of small cheating for money though. I have a local friend that was very helpful in showing the best of the country. Once they know you they are super nice.

Hk and Shanghai, just felt that people were in a bubble and they don’t even notice others outside it. Was only there a day so can’t say for sure.

Japan Osaka people were really nice, went out of their way to help if you were lost, even with no English.

Thailand always excellent service, but it felt that they are ‘foreignered out’ due to the nonstop stream of expats and sexpats.

I think what you wrote makes a lot of sense. When it comes to money, Taiwanese can be scary. But they are nowhere near as bad as Chinese mainlanders or Hong Kong people. It is a pity that all of Taiwan’s progress seems to only be in social areas like political reform, animal rights, LGT rights etc, but not in the business and working world.

2 Likes

If you are white and/or American, Filipinos and Malaysians are damn nice. But to other Asians, nah, not really.
The point is that how Taiwanese are perceived in general and at work is almost like night and day. With other countries, there isn’t such a big difference. For instance, I’ve heard Japan workplaces are very stiff and regimented. That also describes Japanese in that they’re very reserved and formal and follow rules. Another example is Australians. I’ve heard Australians are pretty laidback (everybody gets off at 5) and open at work. That is also how a lot of Australians I’ve met are in person.
So why the huge contrast with Taiwanese? I’m actually impressed though, some user misinterpreted my post as “whining” but I’m complimenting Taiwanese for not being dominated by their work selves.

1 Like

That’s McDonald’s , great staff training usually.

HK sucks. If I win a flight ticket to HK in a lottery I’d sell it online.

Their food is good though

1 Like

I’d bid. fucking love Hong Kong

1 Like

Someone could interpret your post as

TW people are so nice when they are not working. How come they aren’t nice at work cause I’ve had bad experiences? Boohoo!

Work is a four letter word

Except for maybe Germans the rest of us prefer not having to work but we do because we must

My work royally sucks too and I’m in California
And I don’t work for Taiwanese or other Asians

Oh and my coworkers only one is Asian all constantly bitch and moan and roll you under the bus

It’s a fav pastime around here

1 Like

Middle class is disappearing

I thought I was in the lower middle class but now I think I am probably in the higher low class

On the bright side, maybe you can quality for low-income housing. :grin:

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/06/26/hud-117000-low-income-san-mateo-san-francisco-marin/

Ain’t that a bitch but true
Usd 117000 a year and you are fricking low income around here

We are the nouveau Poor

If you are renting in the Bay Area, you’ll remain poor forever as that’s lost money.
If you own in the Bay Area, you are getting rich on paper until you sell and go live in North Dakota like a king in retirement.

1 Like

But then you are in North Korea. I mean North Dakota