Why are Taiwan's faults always covered up by expats and the press?

That’s a great point. They weaponize libel and slander laws here. It’s not a part of jurisprudence that has a lot of maturity in this part of the world. British common law is so well refined on this topic. Would you ever see something as thoughtful as this in Taiwanese law? Reynolds Defence

4 Likes

Are you entitled to affordable housing, princess?

Taiwan’s civil liberties score on Freedom House is 56/60, UK is 54/60.

But the drama queens can keep spouting.

You’ve really been here for too long if you don’t think the way Taiwan structures defamation laws (as a criminal offense no doubt) is problematic:

The Freedom House report you cited didn’t cover the topic at all.

2 Likes

I don’t live in Taiwan.

Play the ball not the man. Dude.

The report covers civil liberties in the aggregate, which includes free speech.

My point is, you’re whiny.

For a sound functional economy, yes. Look to countries like America to see what can happen when people are able to secure their needs.

May things affecting western economies can be seen to be influenced by access to basic human needs.

Also a research what Maslow’s studies into human motivation.

I live in the United States, so you don’t need to lecture me.

You got having a home and having affordable housing mixed up. Everyone in Taiwan has a home, a job, and health care. You can’t say that about the latter two in the United States (even less so jobs in Europe).

Taiwan put together the same industrial revolution in a generation what it took the West 200 years to do.

Please explain to me how having a home and having affordable housing is mixed up.

:no_mouth:

1 Like

Does everyone in Taiwan have a home? Not that hard.

It was likely written by an author that had never step foot in Taiwan and is unfamiliar with the nuances of the law here.

AIT highlights it as an issue here: 2019 Human Rights Report (Taiwan Part) - American Institute in Taiwan in reference to the Financial Times’ piece on Want Want’s media liaisons with the communists, and the move by Want Want to sue the FT’s reporter to create an atmosphere of libel chill (where journalists don’t touch certain subjects).

Here’s an article from a local legal journal about how the criminalization of defamation law (as opposed to keeping it in the domain of civil law) is problematic in a nominally free society http://cycu.lawbank.com.tw/Download/29/01930001.pdf

1 Like

Yes I know. That argument made my point.

Yes but freedom. Am I right.

OK I’ll concede that narrow point.

1 Like

I don’t even know what you’re conceding, just liking on principle because I see it so rarely on here!

1 Like

Gain is not the first Taiwanese to get really defensive over criticism of Taiwan. Even modest stuff like complaining about the air sets them off.

5 Likes

Sorry to burst your bubble but homeless and jobless people in Taiwan do exist.

6 Likes

Sorry, what? There are lots of problems in Taiwan that should be covered but which are not such as air pollution, water problems, migrant worker abuse.
If you think international media must only report on terrorist attacks, journalist murders and famines, then nobody should report on Taiwan at all, correct?

3 Likes

I started this thread and my question was aimed at both expats and the press. I don’t expect the press to report every single problem in Taiwan but there are serious issues like migrant worker abuse that is never mentioned. Pollution is more important for expats to be aware of and discuss. Seeing the replies on this thread about air pollution and cancer it looks like I was right to bring it up.

1 Like