Why are Taiwan's faults always covered up by expats and the press?

If you think irrelevant non-events in a largely peaceful, wealthy country like Taiwan would attract the attention of international mainstream media you are deluded.

So Taiwan should never be covered by international mainstream media at all short of an actual attack by China? Ok, got it bro.

1 Like

Call BBC or CNN and see if they are interested in reporting the car accidents or pollution in Taiwan, lmao.

1 Like

I’ve been assuming Gain was female all this time (because of the picture)

1 Like

Or they could report on the migrant worker abuse and Taiwan’s running out of water.

1 Like

The picture is Catherine O’Hara.

They could, but there are always worse abuse and worse draught in the world.

like those darn swiss, amiright?

think they’re so smart, with their clocks and their chocolate and their Nazi money

1 Like

You never know these days and I try to stay openminded. :wink:

1 Like

Like the National Geographic story I linked above, which you apparently think doesn’t count (were you covering it up?) because it may have been written by someone who doesn’t live in Taiwan?

But I’m still confused by what you’re suggesting. “Taiwan’s faults always covered up”: by whom?! Who’s covering this stuff up? Are you looking for the Taiwan equivalent to the Great Firewall of China? Are you saying that we here on forumsa - which, depending on definitions, is probably one of the bigger groups of expats in Taiwan - are hiding and censoring discussion of problems in Taiwan? Half this forum is complaints about Taiwan - the only covering up is when someone gets too rude and gets the ban-hammer for a bit. Brianjones and Gain have argued about pollution in countless threads for years! I don’t see anyone covering up stories anywhere.

And yeah, darn news networks not covering migrant abuse or drought.

8 Likes

https://monitor.civicus.org/updates/2020/07/03/protests-migrant-worker-conditions-and-discrimination-against-indigenous-people-taiwan/

5 Likes

From 2016:

2 Likes

+1

Every major local news is translated in English by local medias, so anyone in the world can read them if they are interested. Why international press don’t report them is obvious to me.

expats bloggers don’t report maybe by the same reason with the press not reporting those issues, or they aren’t interested in those issues too.

2 Likes

Dude, if you don’t think that social and environmental issues won’t be used as a political tool against Taiwan in the future you are delusional.

Taiwan will be smart to address these issues sooner rather than later.

The war of one thousand cuts currently being fought with China will expose many issues in both countries.

This does not even begin to assess the risk to Taiwan its self from its own actions.

The litter and rubbish issues, water and air quality, social issues, human rights issues.

Taiwan might have many trees but very little wood. I guess that explains the low birth rate.

1 Like

They don’t report on the issues because of risk to Taiwan. The west does not need to expose any issues that could be used to justify increasing tension with China.

So … “the west” (Biden? Some Republican group? EU?) are telling Steven Crook, Frozen Garlic, and Lao Ren Cha to not say anything negative about Taiwan? Must be news to them.

Don’t get me wrong - do I think there should be more international awareness of the issues of Taiwan? Absolutely! (There should probably be more international awareness of every country except the United States and possibly a handful of other rich nations.) But arguing that the press and “expats” are covering up the dark truth of Taiwan - I don’t see it.

But - a-ha! - maybe I’m part of the cabal!

7 Likes

so, political news are safer to report than air pollution.

1 Like

Thanks. Glad you aren’t /u/Shrimpcrackers on Reddit who likes to dig in on absurd points even when he’s wrong.

1 Like

I’m not arguing that.

1 Like

Its generally considered entertainment rather than provocation.

OK - but you wrote …

To me you’re saying that bloggers don’t report on issues because the west wants to avoid exposing issues - so, what do you see as the connection? Or am I misunderstanding? What’s making the west persuade these bloggers to not report on the issues? (Even though it seems to me a lot of them do!)

1 Like