Why are Taiwan's faults always covered up by expats and the press?

This takes nothing away from your larger point, with which I agree completely, but I have to say I find Lao Ren Cha’s writing to be mind-numbingly awful. It seems like everything she writes is so obviously projecting her own unresolved personal issues onto the entire nation of her residence. She’d be doing the same no matter where she lived. I’m not familiar with the other two you mention.

1 Like

Who are the bloggers, I didn’t specifically state media my fault. But how much influence will bloggers actually have? Especially over politicians or people in power.

The op mentions media. Not bloggers. I thought this thread was regarding media. Am I wrong.

1 Like

op said. What the expats mean?

1 Like

OK, looks like I misunderstood - I thought “they” in your post referred to expat bloggers (all three or four of them who write about politics!), and not to … um … international press, I guess?

I’m still unsure who the OP refers to, although I’ve asked a couple of times. “Expats” to me means, well, most of us who post here, as well as bloggers who live anywhere other than the country they grew up in. Which is one reason I find the premise so weird: the OP is partly asking “Why do we on forumosa always cover up Taiwan’s faults?”

But still, I really don’t see international press avoiding issues that make Taiwan look bad. Under-reporting, as happens with pretty much every other country, yes. But if I look, I can find stories on most of the bad things I’m aware of. I’d be really surprised if many newsrooms have ever had conversations like “Oh, we shouldn’t report this bad thing about Taiwan because it’d increase tensions with China.”

The flip side - “Oh, we’d better not be too positive about the country oops island nation oops renegade province of Taiwan oops ROC oops Chinese Taipei because it may make things uncomfortable for our correspondents in China” - that I can easily envision.

4 Likes

so, this kind of news are all covered up by the western media? :thinking:

of course we are interested in those issues and talk a lot on them, because we are living here.

Am I also interested in air quality in Luxembourg? No.

2 Likes

Here’s some negative press I remember:

I don’t think Taiwan really debated much. Taiwan is sure getting some love over the pineapples:

When Taiwan bans US beef or ractopamine laced pork, it’s for health and safety.
When Taiwan allows it again, it’s politics.

When China bans pineapples, it’s pests politics.

News narratives are really just about the stories people want.

8 Likes

You miss the point I made.

I don’t follow much news from China but I can assure you that the article you linked to would have followed some sort of provocative action by some belligerent.

People in PRC read Chinese news.

1 Like

A quick google turned up these results. Understand the media reports and events may not be as they appear.

Slightly off-topic. Are there any legislators actively pushing for changes to the libel laws?

I want to add this though. This is a relatively easy problem to fix. Change laws and voila the problem is fixed. But most other countries’ problem are not as straightforward. Muslims in Europe, race in US, Japanese cultural aversion to immigrants and Italian economy are just some examples off the top of my head that don’t have an easy fix.

I have no idea what you are on about. I never said they don’t deserve to be addressed. They simply aren’t remotely interesting enough for major international news agencies to report on them with everything that is going on in the world. Why would any international journalist run an editorial piece on incredibly boring situation about Taiwan’s traffic or pollution or draught when they can write about headline-worthy pieces on the military coup in Myanmar or the juicy British Royal Family?

3 Likes

This is an interesting first post for me I suppose. Hello all.

I sifted through most of the responses in this thread, and I can say with certainty that “faults” exist in every nation, to varying degrees (more on this later).

From what I have read about Taiwan, it is a proud, stoic nation. One that is viewed quite positively by the West due to it’s values.

I’ve been one person who has promoted Taiwan online and I have never actually visited the country. I have a general interest in cultures and nations of the world, most I have never visited, but, which thanks to the internet, facts are out there. I’ve suggested that Western citizens (in Canada and the U.S least, whom I interact with) should support Taiwan and it’s form of democracy. We share key values, these values supersede “faults” per se.

I’m Canadian, I live in Canada. I see there are some other Canadians participating on this forum as well. We have many problems here that most outside wouldn’t understand or be aware of, especially in regards to civil liberties and accountability/access to justice when one is wronged by domestic agencies. I could provide the exact same topic headline regarding Canada and provide plenty of evidence of this reality.

Is this different than most countries? Probably not. I would argue Canada is certainly falling behind other Western nations on key aspects, it’s one reason we lose many of our most talented citizens, primarily to the U.S. I imagine, Taiwan will also profit from attracting top talent, which will provide a boon for their economy and global reputation as world citizens larn more of Taiwan. Sadly, many are ignorant to the world outside their own borders.

Taiwan is in a unique position, not unlike Japan in the 1980s for example; in that it’s reputation is that of a friendly nation of citizens who are good, free people. Or consider Hong Kong and how many talented and freedom loving citizens they brought to their shores?

Taiwan punches above their weight and human beings inherently support honourable, likable nations. Nations that believe in liberty, democracy and capitalism over central systems of control.

So, be fair in your assessment, but also please provide some perspective. Taiwan is viewed in a positive light due to it’s reputation and the way they have endeared themselves to the International community. As long as you maintain solid, patriotic leadership that promotes your nation, you will be embraced, and thus, even more successful in the global community of nations.

7 Likes

Do you count Taiwan News as an international media?

Nothing is covered up. News is a business. If you look hard enough you’ll find your negative stories in the local press and NGO reports, and both local and expat bloggers.

But, you’re expecting these stories to make front page news in countries that have their own issues. Readership doesn’t care about a Philippines maid’s employment problem unless she jumps off a building or is found in a freezer.

What does someone in the UK or US care about migrant worker’s rights in Taiwan. They have their own stories to report about very similar issues.

Can you please point to Taiwan media’s coverage of the Windrush scandal? or Canada’s indigenous highway of death?

5 Likes

This has been a party political broadcast on behalf of the DPP. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

That’s “prince” to you, peasant.

Dear god please no! Soaring land prices and a bubble economy, followed by it bursting?

That is an object lesson to avoid, not emulate.

Guy

What do you mean I was covering it up? It is a good story on a very important topic. I pointed out it was written by a writer who isn’t based in Taiwan because that proves my point about writers being in Taiwan not covering these types of storeys.

Yes, the Vietnamese worker’s death was reported though the writer of that story has received a lot of criticism for her reporting.
Those storeys did report about Taiwan’s drought but they don’t go in depth on water problems.

Changed sex like Audrey Tang?

I have answered you so check your replies. Perhaps there is some confusion on your part because for some reason you think I’m criticising forumosa which is false. The international press underreports or hardly reports on negative issues here. For instance I have yet to see a writer based in Taiwan write extensively on foreign workers abuse or environmental problems.

1 Like