Why are Taiwan's faults always covered up by expats and the press?

It’s not hard to find soft storeys about Taiwan but one needs to search hard for articles about South East Asian workers abuse or environmental problems in Taiwan.

This is a silly comparison since we are talking about media based in Taiwan and Taiwan issues. The press in those countries covered those topics a lot.

Sorry @nenki

But you do clearly state foreign press.

I said foreign press corps which mean journalists who are based here from foreign organizations.

Mark Stocker usually writes some interesting stuff.
I haven’t read it yet.
(edit - I read it…It started with tasty food lol…I’m with him on the mountains that’ s the most enjoyable part for me here )

NOTICE HOW THE GUY is referred to as a FOREIGNER COLUMNIST after 25 YEARS. Says it all really !!

I’m on the pessimists side personally after 20 years . There’s certain things in Taiwan that don’t fit well with me and also for my kids future. It’s not all Taiwans fault either, (CHINA and the pull of family, my own heritage ), but most of it is to do with how conservative the practically monoethnic society is for welcoming immigrants (No 1 issue by far…I still get called foreigner multiple times a day ), how rough environment and rough behaviour exists in large parts of Taiwan still ,and how much power and money sits with older people here . Also career opportunities are very limited. The last factor is that Taiwan is quite small a place to spend your whole life . Personally I don’t recommend people to try to immigrate to Taiwan because they actually make it difficult to succeed in a lot of ways. All the (relatively minor) success I had here I had to dig it out myself. Nothing was easy. It’s probably pretty good if you come from an unstable developing country though. You can probably put up with being called foreigner all your life or marrying a local layabout and have to look after your local in-laws.
The last thing that really annoys me is how many people aren’t able to have a conversation anymorez they act like robots.

Why does Taiwan think I should give up my own citizenship exactly :joy::joy:?
It seems to reverse the usual immigration pattern doesn’t it ?:sunglasses:
I’m basically waiting out covid now. It doesn’t mean I won’t be back in Taiwan in the future temporarily. There’s lots of things I still want to do connected with Taiwan. But there’s no way I want myself and my family spend our whole lives here.

5 Likes

ok, ok. you win. I’m wrong.

2 Likes

del (misunderstood)

What is rough behaviour?

Drivers…Bloody awful. Doesn’t matter what they are driving either, all pretty much the same.

2 Likes

The way you put it was like there were drug cartels like in Mexico.

Not that kind of rough. The drivers suck so bad though.

2 Likes

Reading through this thread, you came to the conclusion that faults exist in every nation? Also, that second comma isn’t needed.

How?

Rather patronizing when you’ve just now joined.

Where are you an @ethicalwriter ?

It’s patronizing to want a fair assessment rather than a broad allegation?

I’ve been promoting online through social media and other forums the necessity of the West to support Taiwan. Much of the world is naive to the challenges faced there and the world should stand with them in my opinion. I support democracies. Of which Taiwan is one.

You speak your mind and I will speak mine. If what I am saying upsets you or hurts your feelings, then put me on ignore.

2 Likes

Joined two days ago… that escalated quickly! :rofl:

Guy

5 Likes

why they are based here from foreign organizations explains why they are not interested in domestic issues.

Well, joining two days ago doesn’t mean I just found this site two days ago of course. He appears to be trolling me or have some agenda, so I just cut to the chase. There was nothing that I posted that warranted such an odd response from him.

I’m direct and honest about my support for democratic nations and liberty. I know there are many like myself who are members of this forum.

2 Likes

You are preaching to the choir. We’ll excuse that even though you just showed up. :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

It’s just weird that you walk into a place, read some posts, tell people what the story of how great Taiwan is and then tell them how to talk about. I don’t know where you got the idea anyone in this thread or on this site was not doing that. It just sounds like you’re writing an opinion piece for a newspaper.

I only do that for people who constantly with nothing worth reading, but you’re welcome to ignore me if you think I’m trolling. If you know ignore you’ve learned enough about the functions of the site. Maybe get to know the people a little better.

2 Likes

I don’t know about the foreign press, but the board has discussed foreign blue-collar worker issues from time to time. Here are some old threads (the board’s gotten so big that I’ve stopped keeping up with things):

5 Likes

That’s some old news. That Paul Clark thing was wild. If I remember someone invited him to join, a bunch of people jumped on him, he couldn’t handle it and quit. Weird thing he did, pretending he was from CNN, but for a good cause. I don’t know about then, but there are better ways of handling things like that now. Less obvious cameras too.
I don’t think Forumosa is a good argument to counter the OP’s question. The name could be changed to “Problems in Taiwan and how to find and do things”

1 Like

Here are some snippets from foreign and local news sources (my purpose is not to pick on Taiwan, but rather to show that negative issues concerning Taiwan do get a certain amount of coverage):

Gillian B. White, “All Your Clothes Are Made With Exploited Labor,” The Atlantic, June 30, 2015

Central News Agency, “Migrant workers in Taiwan demand abolishment of broker system,” China Post, November 4, 2019

The quote immediately below is from an article posted earlier in this thread by @lostinasia

Rachel Fobar, “Wildlife crimes and human rights abuses plague Taiwanese fishing vessels, crews say,” National Geographic, November 25, 2020

Ann Maxon/staff reporter, “Filipino students forced to work, lawmaker says,” Taipei Times, March 5, 2019

Yeh Su-ping, Joseph Yeh, Ko Lin and Christie Chen, “European Union removes Taiwan from illegal fishery watch list,” China Post, June 28, 2019

Nick Aspinwall, “Baby or a job? Stark choice for Taiwan’s migrant workers,” Thomson Reuters Foundation, December 17, 2019

3 Likes