Police Beating of Paul Clark (Part 2)

[color=red]Moderator’s Note:[/color] Continued from this thread.

For the record I had ONE drink before I went to the police station; a vodka and orange juice while I was watching TV but I was definately NOT drunk. I don’t get drunk. Look at the video; do I look drunk? I don’t think so and that’s because I’m not.

Again, I want to point out that I was attacked by the police long before the small clip that you saw. They need the “drunk” story to validate their behaviour.

[quote=“Bassman”]Help the guy out with the crusade???

One question. Ok, I am here with a JFRV, so it shouldn’t be a problem. [/quote]

You can be deported just as easily. All the police have to do is decide that what you are doing is inconsistent with the purpose of your stay. The key issue here is that the police can deport without any judicial review.

Rodney King got a lot of money for being beaten by the police in Los Angeles. It isn’t necessary to have permanent physical damage; there’s psychological damage that you get from being beaten. Paul Claark says here there’s no videotaped evidence ala Rodney King, unless the inside of the police station has video surveillance, but with the number of witnesses (20 police officers), I can’t believe you couldn’t get something from them in court. The evidence is cuts and bruises on Paul Clark’s body. Aren’t there any lawyers interested in representing such a case?

Question still remains: Why go the the police station with the smell of alcohol on your breath? What kind of strategy is that?

Well Wolf, to be honest it could have been a glitch in the system…all I know is that I thought I had posted one of my typical, sarcastic observations to twocs’ post…basically saying…toned down here…any fool that walks into a police station in a foreign country where he can’t speak the language, drinking - even one drink, with a camcorder - held like he’s going to record something, even if it is off and then TOUCHES a cop - in any way, shape or form has IMHO pretty much set himself up for whatever happens (well short of death). The police might feel a high BAC reading would support their case but in reality I seriously doubt it was necessary. If Paul couldn’t get the cops to back him up on the abused upstairs maid, doesn’t anyone seriously think a cop is going to step forward and say Paul was abused at the police station.
TWOCS, Rodney King was in the U.S. where such compensation is the norm, although I would venture a guess here that for every Rodney King victory there are at least ten that go the other way - the media coverage help Rodney.
I am not sure but from I have read on forumosa.com, this is not the case in Taiwan. Even if, by some miracle Paul sued and won, I doubt if he would win enough to pay for his lawyers fees.

The police thought Rodney King was on PCP. They say Paul Clark drank so much alcohol that he should have been dead. But the courts ruled that kind of police brutality is inexcusable. How can you say that Paul Clark lacks strategy when the police got him to the floor, kicked him in the head with their boots, and did who knows what with phone books. What kind of strategy do you need to use to avoid police brutality? It’s human nature to abuse your power, as evidenced by the Stanford Prison Experiment along with many documented psychological experiments and real life situations.

Drinking alcohol is not a crime. Police brutality is a crime. I’d go for a lawyer that took all lawyer’s fees out of the settlement, as is common in the United States.

Don’t drink, take a videocamera into a copshop and punch a cop in a country where you can’t make yourself understood would seem to be a pretty useful one. At least, its served me well these 15 years.

Exactly. Sandman is among the few on this thread with ANY common sense all. Let’s not label Mr. Clark the poor innocent victim. The fact of the matter is he went looking for trouble, and got it. Frankly, he’s lucky he didn’t get banged up more than he was. Now it seems he wants to try and use how we view law enforcement practices here to his advantage, even though he was just as wrong as they.

Once again, Paul if you were in fact innocent then many more would be supportive instead of skeptical. You are far from that. Take some personal responsibility and stop turning this into a crusade over something YOU initiated. Just my 2 NT, as always.

“The 9th circle of hell is reserved for betrayers and mutineers.” - Jack Sparrow

Sorry, twocs. I fail to see your point.

The real question here is: WWJD, or to put it in a better grammatical context:

What would Jesus have done?

This is what this entire issue is all about! It is not about the New Testamental St. ‘‘Paul’’ Clark, mere mortal. It is about the King Man himself.

Just what would Jesus have done in this situation? Stayed home and watched TV? Or gone over to that damn copshop and have a few persuasive words with those officers, using his omniscient VeeBah to capture everything for eternity?

I

This is an actual article from the China News circa the late 1980s:

[quote]Police who tortured man get suspended sentences
Three policemen who allegedly tortured a detainee by inserting a toothpick into his genitals each received a suspended 14-month sentence, Taiwan Television Enterprise (TTV) said last night.
The Taipei District Court said it suspended the sentences for four to five years because the policemen “administered the torture out of an eagerness to perform well,” therefore, “they should be given a chance to correct their mistakes,” the TV station reported. Fu Sung-yun, the fourth Hoping West Road police station officer involved in the case was given a 10-year jail term on bribery charges.
The incident occurred several months ago when a Taipei resident was at the police station for questioning. The man later sued several policemen for allegedly torturing him to make him confess that he had extorted money from an acquaintance.
In the lawsuit, he charged the police with hitting his head with a pistol butt, whipping his feet with a belt and hanging him upside-down in the interrogation room and pushing a toothpick into his genitals.
He said police took him to a hospital to have his injuries treated. Fearing that they may leave evidence of the torture; police registered the patient under one of the policemen’s names and burned his blood-stained clothes.[/quote]
How’s them apples?

Paul: Stop holding yourself in a comparison with Jesus Christ. And the way you quote Mpther Theresa at the end of each of your posts, one would think you’re a diehard Christian. Why not look at Christopher Hitchens take on Mother Theresa–you might reconsider quoting her. Thought you were going to Vietnam to right the wrongs of life under the Coomunist boot there? Get out of Taiwan already–I for one have heard enough of you.

Who wants jelly donuts? I do!

So Paul, there’s your answer: go out and get crucified, and start a movement to redress wrongs thataway. In about a thousand years, everything will be all right.

Come on, Dan, give the guy a break! Meanness like that is never called for, no matter how much you may disagree with his attitudes or actions.

I think our very own Mother Theresa may be somewhat miffed by that comment.

As Paul is married to a Filippina, I wonder if he would have done the same thing if he had seen a local Taiwanese woman being taken advantage of as he alleges was happening to the neighboring Filippina.

I never knew Jesus ate jelly donuts. Interesting.

Paul, the Philippino community here must have some sort of process or support groups in place for situations like these. At least through their embassy (sorry, trade office) in Taiwan. Simple fact is, she came overseas for a job. If she is not satisified, she needs to go home. If they don’t let her go home, then you get the embassy involved. The next question would be if she is here legally or not. Most maids are not. Then you move into an area where a country should provide the same social rights to people who legally should not even be there. ie: California should allow an illegal alien to get a drivers license so they can go to work. Call it a hunch, but I think Taiwan is a bit far away from this. It really should come down to if the maid wants to stay with her employeer or not. If not, can her rep find her another job. If not she goes home. If she can’t do this, then you can get involved. Just some thoughts.

Interesting about Jesus and Jelly donots though. Never knew that.