More Taiwanese racism (Taoyuan community petitions foreign workers to leave)

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003543198

[quote]Following recent accusations of discrimination against foreign workers by Taipei Railway Station, another incident of alleged discrimination has surfaced, with about 1,000 residents in a Taoyuan County community petitioning to have 30 Filipino workers move out of the area.
Hanging up large banners that read “No to foreign workers in our community,” residents of Rueilian Community (瑞聯社區) in the county’s Bade City (八德) said they did not want the foreign workers from the nearby Ablecome Technology company to stay in the community because of safety concerns.
“We are concerned about our safety,” a resident, Lin Feng-mei (林鳳美), said in a video clip aired by Public Television. “There are many children living in this community. Most of the families here have children, and they are afraid of playing in the park because those foreign workers also spend their leisure time in the park.”[/quote]
Now I’ve always said Taiwan is a racist country, so I’m not too surprised by this. And I’m always amazed by Taiwanese people’s defense, which is basically “No we are not.” For those of you not convinced, here you are:

You see, they aren’t racist. They just don’t like people who are different or darker than they are around, so it’s all good… :noway:

Your second quote, the one from the politician, is truly sad. What’s worse is that most people will find a way to sympathize with the petitioners rather than the migrants.

Is anyone really surprised by this? Taiwanese are horribly racist towards SE Asian people (of course, they will never admit it). Saying otherwise is just silly.

Its the TW govts fault. They should have educational clips showing how the MRT and the HSR and other major projects were built by these SE Asians. And how many of the products “proudly” made in Taiwan are being made by SE Asians. And how many of older Taiwanese owe their daily well being to SE Asians who wheel them around and take care of them where their taiwanese relatives will not anymore.

Its the TW govts fault for not extolling all the benefits SE Asians have brought to life in Taiwan.

The animosity against SE Asians have to be educated OUT.

Or Taiwan is to remain in the dark ages and be passed behind just like Japan will be.

1 Like

You can say exactly the same about Mainland Chinese, Korean, and Japanese in terms of racist attitudes towards darker skinned people. On the other hand, their views towards the fair skinned races (Caucasians) are also “racist” but in the opposite way. Many of you experience this first hand.

[quote=“tommy525”]Its the TW govts fault. They should have educational clips showing how the MRT and the HSR and other major projects were built by these SE Asians. And how many of the products “proudly” made in Taiwan are being made by SE Asians. And how many of older Taiwanese owe their daily well being to SE Asians who wheel them around and take care of them where their taiwanese relatives will not anymore.

Its the TW govts fault for not extolling all the benefits SE Asians have brought to life in Taiwan.

The animosity against SE Asians have to be educated OUT.

Or Taiwan is to remain in the dark ages and be passed behind just like Japan will be.[/quote]

The government won’t do anything, the horrific quote in the OP is from an elected official for crisesakes.

I don’t think it’s skin colour, as such. That seems to be just the way halfwit politicans rationalize it. I’m about the same hue as the average Indonesian or Filipino, but people always seem to treat me with the sort of weird, embarrassing deference they reserve for “Americans” (= any white person of European descent). I’ve never met with any overtly racist behaviour. It’s just Taiwan’s ugly “caste system”: these people earn less than us and do our bidding, while we sit on our asses or squash cyclists with our SUVs. Therefore they are lesser humans.

But yeah - the government isn’t going to do anything. They are exactly the sort of privileged chinless wonders who look down their noses at the people doing the hard work.

You can say exactly the same about Mainland Chinese, Korean, and Japanese in terms of racist attitudes towards darker skinned people. On the other hand, their views towards the fair skinned races (Caucasians) are also “racist” but in the opposite way. Many of you experience this first hand.[/quote]

There are quite a few Taiwanese that aren’t so lovey-dovey towards fair skinned races. And for the ones that display the reverse racism you mentioned, you’re right to call it racist. It’s still a tool to maintain social separation and reinforce the “you as a foreigner” mentality. But I’ve noticed there are times when the perks I get as a Caucasian are especially superficial, and just below the surface lies a degree of disdain towards me you might associate with your run-of-the-mill type of racist perspective.

After realizing this fact myself back in 1998, I’ve always been troubled, and have not yet figure out a way to make it clear to other Taiwanese that they are being racist. Because even if you tell them they are racist, and debate with them till they ran out of defences and shut their mouths, they will still not admit they are being racist.

Taiwanese don’t change their mind. Period. Unless the boss or the parents waiting with a large inheritance to bestow change it for them.

I was just pondering what those nasty foreigners might do to their little precious ones. Talk to them in tagalog? Steal their sunbrellas?

I’m also quite surprised to learn that they have leisure time.

It’s not the racism that surprises me. It’s the overtness of it, the fact that there’s no attempt to even hide it that surprises me.

It’s not the racism that surprises me. It’s the overtness of it, the fact that there’s no attempt to even hide it that surprises me.[/quote]

because they really believe that’s just how things are. kind of like what Clinton said during the DNC, that they are honorable people who believe what they’ve said… It’s just what they said is pretty bad…

It was widely condemned by big-city Taipei liberals and in the mainstream press and expressly compared to the people who didn’t want the house for cancer patients in their neighborhood. This is more a case of small town non-sophisticates not being aware that racism is no longer acceptable in polite company.

Taipei Main Station has now implemented widely reported measures that seem to be intended to prevent migrant workers from hanging out in and around the station on Sundays. While some Taiwanese agreed, many others said they thought it was disgraceful.

The Taoyuan Hillbillies:

[quote]Following recent accusations of discrimination against foreign workers by Taipei Railway Station, another incident of alleged discrimination has surfaced, with about 1,000 residents in a Taoyuan County community petitioning to have 30 Filipino workers move out of the area.

Hanging up large banners that read “No to foreign workers in our community,” residents of Rueilian Community (瑞聯社區) in the county’s Bade City (八德) said they did not want the foreign workers from the nearby Ablecome Technology company to stay in the community because of safety concerns.

“We are concerned about our safety,” a resident, Lin Feng-mei (林鳳美), said in a video clip aired by Public Television. “There are many children living in this community. Most of the families here have children, and they are afraid of playing in the park because those foreign workers also spend their leisure time in the park.”

About 1,000 residents of the community signed a petition earlier this month, asking Ablecome to resettle the foreign workers as soon as possible.

While Ablecom general manager Liang Chien-fa (梁見發) said he disagreed with their views, he has agreed to find another place for his employees to stay by Oct. 6.

“They [the Filipino workers] have been staying in the community for only about two weeks, and there have been no problems at all,” Liang said, adding that foreign workers are no different from locals, but the company has agreed to relocate them because of the community’s opposition.

Taoyuan County Councilor Lu Lin Hsiao-feng (呂林小鳳), who represents the constituency, denied that residents wanted foreign workers to leave because of racial discrimination.

It has nothing to do with discrimination,” she said. “With 460 households and more than 1,000 residents, Rueilian is a peaceful community. They are merely worried that clashes could happen because of these foreign workers, with their different skin color and different culture, going in and out of the community.”

The incident in Taoyuan is the second case of apparent discrimination that has surfaced recently in the nation. Earlier this month, Taipei Railway Station came under fire for cordoning off parts of its lobby on weekends after receiving complaints that gatherings of migrant workers to celebrate Eid al-Fitr last month were bothersome.

Taiwan International Workers Association secretary-general Chen Hsiu-lien (陳秀蓮) said that she was not surprised because discrimination has always existed, “it’s just a matter of whether it surfaces.”

“Last Sunday, a member of our association took a group of Filipino workers to Xinsheng Park in Taipei to practice drumming, and police officers appeared within 30 minutes, saying the Filipino workers were too noisy and could disturb people in a nearby library, and that they were violating the Assembly and Parade Act (集會遊行法), because they did not apply for an assembly permit in advance,” Chen said.

“But there’s no library near the park. It’s already very noisy there because it’s close to Songshan airport, and, when have you heard of people needing to apply for a permit to practice drumming in a park? What about those who exercise and do aerobics dancing in the park?” Chen said.

Chen said what happened last Sunday was not an isolated case.

“We often have difficulties renting an office too, because some of our neighbors pressure the landlord since they don’t want ‘people with dark skin’ to be going in and out of the building,” he said.

Taiwan New Immigrant Cultural Exchange Association president Hoang Oanh, from Vietnam, said the government could create special areas for immigrants to exhibit their culture and sell merchandise from their home countries.

“Such places could be ideal for immigrants to spend their leisure time, and it’s also ideal for teaching locals about the cultures of these immigrants,” Hoang said, adding that increased exchanges between locals and immigrants would promote better relations.[/quote]

Um. forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 9&t=113761

[quote=“cake”]The Taoyuan Hillbillies:

[quote]

Taoyuan County Councilor Lu Lin Hsiao-feng (呂林小鳳), who represents the constituency, denied that residents wanted foreign workers to leave because of racial discrimination.

It has nothing to do with discrimination,” she said. “With 460 households and more than 1,000 residents, Rueilian is a peaceful community. They are merely worried that clashes could happen because of these foreign workers, with their different skin color and different culture, going in and out of the community.”[/quote][/quote]

I wonder what she thinks the word discrimination means ? I feel quite ill reading this.

You know what I feel sad about? The children of all those 460 thousand immigrants to Taiwan, of which a great majority of those actually arr from Southern East Asia and have darker skin.

The Government recently started an “integration” program. Unfortunately, it is heavily influenced by a certain linguist who likes to come to Taiwan to lecture too much while his theories applied in California have been a disaster. Hence, I believe that the program will become a division -too much emphasis on mother language as being the language of the mother, and may not help the kids integrate.

[quote=“pgdaddy1”][quote=“cake”]The Taoyuan Hillbillies:

[quote]

It has nothing to do with discrimination,” she said. “With 460 households and more than 1,000 residents, Rueilian is a peaceful community. They are merely worried that clashes could happen because of these foreign workers, with their different skin color and different culture, going in and out of the community.”[/quote][/quote]

I wonder what she thinks the word discrimination means ? I feel quite ill reading this.[/quote]

‘It has nothing to do with discrimination’ :roflmao:

Then she expresses textbook discrimination.

Still mind-boggling!

Shoulda really left ‘skin color’ out of the quote…

The councilor in question: http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/bade-8888/article?mid=1545&prev=1582&next=1515