Why are there so many gay male South Africans in Taiwan?

Kind of unrelated, and I’m happy to get flamed, but why are there so many gay male South Africans in Taiwan? It’s definitely disproportionate.

2 Likes

easy to come here and find work.
socially acceptable to be gay.
dreadful situation in south Africa, and even more so if you are gay i guess…

8 Likes

I heard many gay men who like Asian guys come to Taiwan because it’s a pretty free place to be gay.

2 Likes

How many gay South African men have you met in total?

Whether you are gay or not, being reasonably paid for teaching 20 hours a week gives a lot of extra time for other activities?

1 Like

Knowingly, probably half a dozen or so.

3 out of the 5 ive known over the last 15 years.

I don’t know about gay male South Africans, but if I was gay, I’d definitely want to move to Taiwan. In my experience, the whole “Taiwanese girls love foreign guys” thing is a gigantic lie, but I’ve befriended and been hit on by so many young gay guys in Taiwan, many of whom are very nice and objectively attractive, that it almost makes me wish I was gay.

3 Likes

I haven’t met any to be honest with you, but it’s not like I can tell someone’s gay by looking at them.

And church is a shit place to meet gay men, but I haven’t got any better place so far.

From my experience local women generally don’t care for white men. Local gay men though do. Admitting “I love BWC” on Grindr is very common.

The alpha male type and the daddy type are also more popular amongst gay men than amongst women.

Most people usually can.

Lol.

2 Likes

What’s holding you back, then? Social labelling? “Self-identity”?

Live a little.

3 Likes

I don’t know about South Africans in particular but there’s a stereotype that white gay guys like Asian guys and in Taiwan the opposite is also true.
So it’s a good place to be gay I guess.