Why are they allowing "impossible meat" on store shelves?

They dont/wont/can’t test everything. Usually it’s random and many things get through just fine.

Interestingly, organic Canadian soy beans are normally cheaper than non organic Chinese ones. At least retail shops I see that often haha. Not that Canadian crops are free of lies and fraud. Ahe. Costco blueberries…

Easy. $.

Yeah, but they don’t test every batch. It’s just sampling. In fact prior to being exposed in 2013, there were 17 years straight where the government didn’t bother testing imported soy.

2 Likes

That’s the same way that any customs inspection in any country works though, it’s a pretty obvious point that they have to random sample. I think glyphosate only came on people’s radar, well probably around 2013? I think Taiwan’s no GM soy policy is a direct consequence of their zero tolerance for glyphosate, as I believe with soy the two go hand in hand. I’m still yet to see any evidence that Taiwanese are drinking glyphosates in their 豆漿. Curious as to where you got this information?

There’s absolutely no such policy. If there is absolutely no GM soy available on the market, why even bother labelling it?

For 2015 to 2020, Taiwan imported 2,591,484 metric tons of soy. Only 3.53% of those were NGM.

2 Likes

Crikey. Are you sure that’s right? That’s a whole lot of soy. Could this be the reason for Taiwan’s low birthrate?

1 Like

Even a lot of prepackaged tofu that you buy will say “GMO soy” on it in Chinese. Some are non GMO. I believe the one from Costco is non GMO.

Well, the matrix is glitching for me. From the south to north, every 永和 style soy milk breakfast joint I cared to ever look at has the no GM soy sign out front. And every packet of dry beans/tofu at the supermarket says no GM. I could’ve sworn I read about a no GM soy import policy somewhere. Does that mean a lot of lying going on? I’ve learnt never to underestimate the level of lying in Taiwan.

1 Like

No idea on the numbers. But soy milk, treats, tofu etc. It wouldn’t be at all surprising. Never mind stock piles. Taiwan is pretty lax on the health aspects. FDA is getting very very strict now, but they’re starting the pressure on local manufacturers. Customs are a line apart and it gets disconnected right quick. It would shock the average person to see what arrives in the container. Even more seeing the lab results.

Not to help justify it, but customs can’t test everything. Logistically. It’s on the companies, and as we know, there are many shitty ones.

I think most locals have little faith in those signs. That’s why people were still against the import of ractopamine beef and pork even when the government introduced laws to enforce labeling the origin of the products, especially entrails, where ractopamine residue would be concentrated. I think most locals assume 90% of the stores with those “no GM” or “Australian Beef” or “Taiwan Pork” signs and stickers actually use GM soy, and American beef and pork.

I was thinking most of it is animal feed. But I suppose humans end up eating it indirectly …

And yet, they seem more than capable of x-raying every passenger who comes through Taoyuan airport, or delaying some foreigner’s shipment of Hershey’s bars or something to check whether the contents meet local regulations :wink:

1 Like

Very good point on animal feed. Though those are very different grades and marked as such on containers.

The large scale import export go through vastly different procedures. Most people buying igerb or whatever are air freight, vs ocean freight, as a start. That alone has massively different logistics. About as similar as walking vs submarine. Not justifying lack lustre diligence, but it is quite an amazingly different scale and issue. Its why so much can be smuggled so easily.

1 Like