Why Australians Are the Luckiest People in the World

Imagine being born in a country that not only boasts incredible natural beauty and a high quality of life but also offers unique legal and financial advantages on a global scale. That’s the reality for us Australians, who should be considered among the luckiest people in the world. Here’s why being born in Australia is like hitting the jackpot.

1. No Taxation for Citizens Living Abroad: Unlike American citizens who are subject to taxation on their global income regardless of where they live, Australians enjoy a significant financial advantage. If you’re an Australian citizen living overseas, you’re not taxed by Australia on your foreign income. This policy is a massive boon for Australians working abroad, allowing them more financial freedom and less bureaucratic hassle.

2. Flexibility in Citizenship: Australia’s citizenship laws offer a unique flexibility – the ability to renounce and later resume citizenship. This policy allows Australians to navigate the citizenship laws of other countries (like Taiwan) that require renunciation of original citizenship for naturalization. After acquiring new citizenship, Australians can then apply to resume their Australian citizenship, maintaining their ties to Australia.

3. Diverse and Stunning Environment: From the iconic Great Barrier Reef to the vast Outback, Australia’s landscape is diverse and breathtaking. This natural setting not only offers a picturesque backdrop but also a playground for those who love the outdoors.

4. High Quality of Life and Multicultural Society: Australians enjoy a high standard of living with a strong healthcare system, world-class education, and a rich multicultural tapestry that makes Australia a vibrant and inclusive place to live.

5. Strong Economy and High Minimum Wage: The Australian economy is robust, providing ample job opportunities across various sectors. Coupled with one of the highest minimum wages in the world, this ensures a good standard of living for most Australians.

6. Political Stability and Safety: Australia is known for its political stability, effective governance, and safety, making it a secure and peaceful place to live.

7. Environmental Consciousness: Australians are deeply aware of their unique ecosystems, leading to strong environmental policies and a lifestyle that often embraces sustainability.

What about your country? What could your country do to improve to become like mine?

1 Like

Franking credits :partying_face:

This topic is brought to you by ChatGPT.

10 Likes

You don’t receive them as a non tax resident

I’m a tax resident

I guess we could start by importing some deadly spiders, kangaroos and some of those dangerous drop-bears :astonished:

2 Likes

I’m not :’(

But the not paying tax on capital gains as a non resident kind of evens it out

1 Like

Eh raising minimum wage isn’t hard. Keeping growth high is harder. How much longer can Australia be as great a place as it is right now is the more important question. Europe doesn’t look so good right now.

Australia has the record for longest period without a recession, pretty good for growth. As long as Australia remains a great place to live, I think growth will continue

Australia’s minimum wage is (loosely) linked to inflation. The whole country gets a pay-rise every July, I dunno why other countries don’t increase their minimum wages. Makes people value manual labour.

Although ‘No one knows the future, least of all economists’ - economics explained

2 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: From Australia

I like this channel :blush:

2 Likes

I know, me too. There are 4 types of economies haha.

I don’t think Australia will fail but it’s naive to think it’ll be as successful as it is because it “raises minimum wage” if it was that easy we’d all be rich.

1 Like

Did have GDP per capita recession a few times though.

Oh I don’t think that all. But it’s much easier to stay wealthy than become wealthy

Minimum wages are just one piece of an enormous puzzle

I personally think Australian leave entitlements probably have a bigger effect than minimum wage. We aren’t an exhausted workforce.

All full-time workers get 4 weeks annual leave, about 10 paid public holidays (depending on state), and about 10 sick days (depending in your award). So, compared to Taiwan, we work much harder when we are at work but we do not do much unpaid overtime.
Our work life balance is pretty great and we don’t treat bosses like they’re untouchable.

But even outside of economics and working. It’s diverse but everyone generally gets along. The major cities are the perfect climate for human habitation, it’s clean, decent public transport. It’s not a perfect place but’s it’s definitely good

Downsides are over-reliance on income tax revenue (arguably a good thing as it means the people are more likely to hold the government accountable for its spending). Transport between capital cities is pretty much by plane only.

1 Like
  1. World leading levels of CHatGDP per capita. Australians are deeply in tune with skippy the bush kangaroo, flipper, and Alf from home and away. This gives a reduced requirement for use of the brain, encouraging sustained ChatGDP growth.
5 Likes

Is my math wrong or is there something about having massive land mass, huge natural resources and a very tiny population. Plus no meaningful enemies, worldwide acceptance. And a very mild climate that allows far cheaper logistics. It is indeed setup quite well!

1 Like

Enjoying my paid days off with no make up days

2 Likes

Enjoying Sydney afternoon and visiting my family. Hot cross ribs soon to be eaten

1 Like

That’s not a mountain. You are legally only allowed to enjoy ribs and barbecue on the Blue Mountains. By the law and order of the courts of Forumosa.

And you must include a picture you took of the view. I don’t make the rules.

2 Likes

Why is it sunny there and pouring rain and thundering down in Melbourne!

Although I enjoyed the morning with some family at the zoo and we all took off before the rain started :sweat_smile: