Why can't we discuss torrents and torrents sites, etc?

I have three questions and while they may sound pretty ignorant to some people, they are genuine queries.

1-Why can’t we discuss torrents and torrents website on Forumosa? I expect an answer relating to legality, piracy and so on, but… this takes me to my second question.

2- Why is it that we can’t even discuss this while torrents websites manage to keep operating? Is it because this country has stricter rules than other countries regarding piracy?

I ask because I am wondering how this all works. Some torrents sites are enabling people to download thousands of files illegally on a daily basis meanwhile we can’t even discuss these websites on Forumosa.

3- How do the torrents sites manage to keep operating if what they do is illegal?

There is a big difference between running a site like Mininova or The Pirates Bay, for example, and discussing these sites on Forumosa. Is Forumosa being overly defensive, or is there a real concern for legal issues if we were to have a fora dedicated for such discussions?

Given that so many torrents websites get away with murder, I’m under the impression that Forumosa shouldn’t have to worry so much. But I admit I don’t know enough about this and that is why I ask.

Please provide some answers and discuss.

Thank you.

marboulette

Can’t say! :silenced:

[quote=“marboulette”]1-Why can’t we discuss torrents and torrents website on Forumosa? I expect an answer relating to legality, piracy and so on, but… this takes me to my second question.

2- Why is it that we can’t even discuss this while torrents websites manage to keep operating? Is it because this country has stricter rules than other countries regarding piracy?[/quote]

Hi M., from the perspective of this poster, I don’t think it’s a country-level issue. Rather, I believe it is a very conservative CYA policy (not intended in any pejorative sense) by Forumosa management, so that Forumosa cannot be seen as condoning illegal activities. I don’t blame them for this, although personally I don’t think it’s strictly necessary, since a chat forum is not by nature responsible for the contents of the chat occurring on it. :idunno:

There are always loopholes.

You should check out the legal correspondence on The Pirates Bay. Great stuff. The Swedish courts have found that as torrent sites aren’t hosting the content being passed around, and all the content being shared isn’t copyright, shutting them down would be the equivalent of prohibiting people from sharing directions to the library. In other jurisdictions, there’s nothing to say you can’t download copyright material, but you’re prohibited from uploading it.

This stuff draws on very useful emerging technologies, and gov’ts and the courts know that cracking down on them too hard may be a very dumb move in the long run. So, they’re trying to strike a balance between allowing for the technologies development and protecting the copyright holders whose material is fueling their growth.

That, and some of these torrent sites carefully cover their tracks.

Because it’s wrong. No point in me arguing it if you don’t the difference between right and wrong.
I think bittorrent is a good technology used for bad things.

If you want to talk about the best way to rip people off, there are more disreputable forums you can use.

Once something has been broadcasted it is essentially free…given the state of technology.

It’s wrong?

What’s wrong was canceling Jericho and John From Cincinnati.

“They” should be grateful that people WANT to download their crappy shows. Go back to product placement, like that hasn’t already occurred. That’ll set the tone for the future.

If Pirate Bay etc are illegal, then so is Google. They are search engines. They don’t host any of the files.

Try typing ‘Battlestar Galactica torrent’ into Google. You’ll get sent to thousands of sites where you can download the TV show. Actually downloading them will probably be illegal in most cases. So should we shut down Google?

Brian

BFM, “talking about it” is wrong? Are you serious? I see a thing at the start of some of the DVDs I rent – illegal downloading is a crime. So those Sony guys are talking about it. Why can’t we?

[quote=“sandman”]BFM, “talking about it” is wrong? Are you serious? I see a thing at the start of some of the DVDs I rent – illegal downloading is a crime. So those Sony guys are talking about it. Why can’t we?[/quote]I didn’t say that. But I did said that p2p is a good technology, and does have good uses, and I don’t mind talking about the technology. I do mind someone giving a link to a film and saying “download this”
I do have a problem linking to sites that have nothing but illegal content.

Talking about where to get a fake work visa is not illegal, but I doubt would be allowed.

It comes under the “promoting illegal activities” rule.

Talking about them is promoting them? That is certainly one POV.

Yes, being the only one bothered by wrongdoers does make life in Taiwan hell. I can see no reason to carry on.

Think of the children!

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“marboulette”]1-Why can’t we discuss torrents and torrents website on Forumosa? I expect an answer relating to legality, piracy and so on, but… this takes me to my second question.

2- Why is it that we can’t even discuss this while torrents websites manage to keep operating? Is it because this country has stricter rules than other countries regarding piracy?[/quote]

Hi M., from the perspective of this poster, I don’t think it’s a country-level issue. Rather, I believe it is a very conservative CYA policy (not intended in any pejorative sense) by Forumosa management, so that Forumosa cannot be seen as condoning illegal activities. I don’t blame them for this, although personally I don’t think it’s strictly necessary, since a chat forum is not by nature responsible for the contents of the chat occurring on it.[/quote]

Oh… OK, that makes sense and I won’t blame them, either. But the rules state the following:

The above is probably not entirely accurate given your perspective, and I was more going with what the rules speculate and that’s in good parts what made me wonder. (torrents site manage, so why would discussing it be a “real” legal issue.) Thanks for your thoughts.

Jaboney,

Thanks for your response to my third question. After I read your post I did a bit of research of my own and it sounds like you got it right.

Finally, I think you make good sense, BFM, but I do find it pretty impressive, if not incredible, that you NEVER downld copyright material. Having read many of your posts over the years, however, I actually believe you. It is not only illegal, but it is criminal. So yes, it does fall under promoting illegal activities unless the discussion is very carefully crafted to bypass the criminal code, and such discussions are already allowed on Forumosa. Someone compared the torrents sites with Google, and while it is a sensible comparison, there are differences between giving someone directions to a library and giving directions to a liquor store that leaves the back door unlocked at night where boose can easily be stolen.

Times are changing and I think that writers, producers, programmers, musicians, distributors, etc. have to find new ways to earn money. Many of them are already doing that.

marboulette