Why do I always rub South Africans the wrong way?

Yes, there’s no specific event thats caused this phenomena, but it seems on quite a few occasions when I have met a Saffie, I’ve pissed them off unintentionally. Now I’m a nice guy, I know that I look cold and moody a lot of the time (thats shyness), but I pride myself on being pretty easy to talk to or with and would never piss people off on purpose…

So any clues as to how I can stop this from happening?

Note: this is not a bashing thread… I’m genuinely confused

Kiss them first.

Rub with the grain…not against.

Also…remember that when they refer to “TuTu”…they aren’t always talking about a ballet dress.

Some possible reasons (but none of them are Saf-specific, I’m afraid):

They don’t understand your accent.
They don’t understand your humor.
They’re threatened by you (You’re tall, masculine, quiet, mysterious, etc.)
Were you wearing that Jesus t-shirt on all those occasions?

Well… my accent isn’t that bad, I know I mumble a bit… but that only comes when you know me.
My humor is usually tailored to the audience… I could never let my gf know that I find Blue Jam very funny (incredibly dark UK radio show), but to Brits maybe yes. Otherwise the use of sarcasm and irony prevails.

I really do wish people weren’t threatened by me though, so many people have told me that they think I’m scary and need to smile more… I never thought I looked that bad. As far as tallness goes, and linking back to our SA cousins, experience tells me they are generally big people. So it can’t be that.

The jesus t-shirt only comes out for “special” occasions.

I never thought you were scary. But I’m a big scary Manc (ish) girl. Grrrrr.

[quote=“Funk500”]Well… my accent isn’t that bad, I know I mumble a bit… but that only comes when you know me.
My humor is usually tailored to the audience… I could never let my gf know that I find Blue Jam very funny (incredibly dark UK radio show), but to Brits maybe yes. Otherwise the use of sarcasm and irony prevails.

I really do wish people weren’t threatened by me though, so many people have told me that they think I’m scary and need to smile more… I never thought I looked that bad. As far as tallness goes, and linking back to our SA cousins, experience tells me they are generally big people. So it can’t be that.

The jesus t-shirt only comes out for “special” occasions.[/quote]

It’s just funny to read this post while looking at your avatar. Maybe it’s the avatar that scares the south efrikans.

Ahh yes Winston Sparks aka King Stitt the ugly one… Yep, enough to give anybody nightmares!

Come on, out with it! What do you do or say to them? I’m asking 'cause you say you “always” rub them the wrong way.

Which reminds me: I know this one huge South African in Hsinchu! And I mean really huge! But, a gentle giant he is. :smiley:

well,First meetings are always based on what you are doing at that time so I’m not sure… just general chit-chat for some reason always turns into looking like I’ve just asked permission to take their mother from behind…

That’s it, then. You never ask, silly billy!

How would YOU like it if someone asked you if they could shag your girlfriend?

How would YOU like it if someone asked you if they could shag your girlfriend?[/quote]

That’s my point. I say something which I think is unobtrusive or joking (obviously nothing about anal sex) and it turns into an argument or them leaving with a bad impression.

And to answer your Q: of course not

Maybe you have Asberger’s syndrome.

Is it just with people from South Africa?

He doesn’t, but he likes to eat asparagus. Maybe that’s the problem?

I’d like a ‘p’, please Bob.

How would YOU like it if someone asked you if they could shag your girlfriend?[/quote]

That’s my point. I say something which I think is unobtrusive or joking (obviously nothing about anal sex) and it turns into an argument or them leaving with a bad impression.

And to answer your Q: of course not[/quote]

There you have it!

Always consider your audience.

but I’m not completely socially inept… I’m not gonna say anything controversial that would get me in trouble. I guess I just wind them up for no reason. Well to any SA’s on the board, I apologize for any past indiscretions where I’ve slighted you by trying to be polite.

Oh, and I’m pretty certain I don’t have Aspergers syndrome.

So where are you from,Funk500?
By the way,your avatar is an absolute scream!Where did you get it,& more curiously,why?
Concerning your spate of bad luck with South Africans,it’s been my experience that SOME Americans lack social finesse when it comes to dealing with Saffas,& I would venture to say that this might have to do with the fact that some have had a less conservative upbringing than many South Africans might have had.

I went to school with & worked with a number of Americans back home in South Africa,so Funk,you are not alone.Many Americans I’ve met are the kind that open their mouths simply to change feet!

So yes,know your audience.

Hope this helped.

Rubbed
Way
Wrong