Why do long-term white expats and ABTs love to defend the mediocre elements of Taiwan?

This topic on Reddit’s /r/taiwan (home to insane deep-green expats) is about why banks have quite limited operating hours compared to their counterparts in North America. Let’s face it: banks here aren’t exactly the most efficient operations on the island. Despite insane cash reserves, they seem not willing to spend a dime on process improvements or new technology. No, I don’t mean something 21rst century, like putting transactions on the Blockchain, I mean bringing up standards to 2002 levels.

Now instead of this, the poster-in-question, decides to attack the OP. Instead of agreeing that yes, banks here are not efficient, he decides to defend the SOP.

It’s not hard to see why Taiwan is in its current quagmire.

Taiwan-induced low effort syndrome.

Weird example. In what you link to, I don’t see what you describe: I see someone explaining, not defending, the practice. And I’m not sure if “young’un” counts as attacking the original poster.

So as far as I can tell you’re basically attacking “long-term white expats and ABTs” for doing something that you provide zero examples of.

3 Likes

So last week the LTWEs on the site were being dissed as xenophobes, now we’re being dissed as defenders of the status quo? We can’t catch a fucking break.

Actually I agree with the OP. Banks here are run in an antediluvian fashion. Try doing a FOREX transaction, takes half an hour with multiple countersignings back and forth.

1 Like

Oh, the banks are often ridiculous, no doubt. I just didn’t see any examples of people saying “But the banks in Taiwan are great!”

2 Likes

If nothing else, I’m grateful to this thread for introducing the term “long-term white expat.”

Dr. Milker, LTWE…I like the ring of that!

Low Testosterone White Ethnostatist

#exposed

That would be a strange title, considering where I live…unless you’re considering Taiwanese as “honorary whites” like South Africa used to do.

Just because you can’t go in the bank doesn’t mean they’re not working.

–TG, LTWE, X, DOMSQ

2 Likes

In the comment linked you have someone excusing the SOP of these banks by making it seem that North America is the exception to the rule, rather than something that should be aspired to instead.

Eh depends.

With insane cash reserves, why change what you know works?

As to why we like em, the service is slow but the charges are low to non existent. in US, dion’t they charge you a bundle for keeping a minimum, falling under a minimum, having more than a mnimum? Every transaction is a piece of liver, eye, blood? By comparison, why wouldn’t US citizens be enamored with banking here?

Someday maybe credit cards and ebanking will be as open to us furriners as to the rest of the people living on The Island.

3 Likes

Well, here goes. Somebody’s got to do it.

Try going into a U.S. bank and exchanging your USD for Japanese yen and walking out with 3 million yen in cash.

2 Likes

Fair enough. But saying something isn’t that unusual isn’t the same as defending it. Nor does it seem solid enough ground to make a blanket assertion that the LTWE-ABT Mafia “love to defend” problems in Taiwan.

Which long-term white expats love to defend Taiwan? Pretty much all long-term white expats are jaded and whiny af. Most of the subscribers to r/taiwan are the ABTs who hate their life in America or Canada.

1 Like

Sigh, guilty as charged.

1 Like

Wah! How dare you accuse me of being whiny?! I’m very upset about this!

Oh. Um, never mind.

1 Like

I prefer the term “hissy.”

Why do people who choose Taiwan as the place where to live seem to disagree with somebody who just arrive and keeps pointing out the weird things of the non-USA island where he’s temporarily located?

Also I don’t think that people here are very tolerant with TW BS.

TWBS and LTWE. Your two new neologisms.

Isn’t that the name of one of the cable news channels?

Don’t ask me, I don’t have that diabolic invention called television at home.

1 Like