Why do People Demand 100% Accuracy on Facts/Advice?

I might, it’s something I could do if I wanted, I think my chances would be pretty good, or better than that, who knows, we’ll see. We have stupid people in charge of this country, you know that, I know that, and you know that perhaps better than anyone, am I right?

3 Likes

Facts do not really matter. All 差不多

2 Likes

Facts do matter. There’s enough bullsh&t in this world without forumosa adding fuel to the dumpster fire.

More narrowly: life in Taiwan throws up enough challenges for all of us without forumosa making it worse.

Guy

5 Likes

Here are my facts

When I was a wee young laddy of around 7 years old I split my head open after falling off my two wheeled scooter. My Ma she took me up the road to the local doctor who only lived around half a mile away to get sewn up. Anyways it was 1967 maybe. In those days the doctors waiting room had racks of magazines. No TV. You always had Readers Digest and National Geographic and newspapers. As my head was bleeding profusely I grabbed a few Nat Geo’s as I could not read much and scanned the photos.
What I liked about Nat Geo was they always had pictures of natives dressed in their natural attire and those kids always had nice smiles and looked happy. I decided then and there I wanted to live in the jungle village away from where I grew up. I had a dream of a different life.
A couple decades later in 1988 I moved to Taiwan. Later on I was captured by a tribal lass from a head hunting tribe in the forested mountains. My Jungle Bunny as she calls herself she took me home to be her trophy husband and Man Friday. There are lots of skulls from defeated chiefs and elders from other tribes in the Kuba behind my house.
After being accepted into the tribe a quick tribal initiation rite was done

I’m living the dream.

6 Likes

Sometimes people do attack some smaller details instead of the point of the argument that still holds true.

Like the whole plurality vs majority language when they don’t want to address the actual issue.

2 Likes

I only mentioned the phone just to say it’s there, and I’m terrible at estimating distance and no one would go and measure it.

I didn’t expect actual distance to be an issue here.

They don’t require such exactitude

To feel important by putting others down is what drives the criticism

Conversely if you are outstanding in some way or do some outstanding job, 99 percent of people will never give you a compliment. People in general will not allow themselves to acknowledge your achievement

If you are 1 standard deviation above the mean, some will notice but say nothing

If you are 3 standard deviations above the mean, maybe one person will say “well done”

But make a little mistake and people will swarm you to criticize

Elvis’s father admitted nobody realized Elvis’s potential. One famous music producer heard a 17 year old Elvis and told him “son, you oughta go back to driving a truck”. Months later Heartbreak Hotel topped the charts

I’m reading a Chinese book about Thomas Edison. His grade school teacher told Edison’s mother that Edison was mentally impaired. Edison’s first invention made him a wealthy man at 22. The chapters before however describe how he was fired over and over and over again — for trivia. The greatest inventor in the history of planet earth was sitting right in front of people and they fired him!

Criticism from others should be thought of as - those people patting themselves on the back; it doesn’t represent truth

Most people are compelled to criticize

Pay them no mind

Do you think something I wrote above is wrong? Needs correction? Of course

3 Likes

Unless TL is providing inaccurate info on purpose, he may think his advice is the best way to go. My opinion is nobody should go online and ask a question and take whoever responds as face value. There is a reason people will goto different doctors to get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion. I would think you would be more cautious with people online.

3 Likes

TL reminds me to cautious with authoritative statements online. That is why his statements are useful to me.

4 Likes

I find this to be true.

The goal is bullying, because bullying feels good.

The bullied will do anything to make it stop, just like a tortured person will say anything to the torturer to make the pain stop.

But like torture, the objective isn’t the information, or whatever the bullied did wrong, the objective is you’re the target and it won’t stop.

So the bullied either becomes cynical, or stops associating with anyone to make it stop.

1 Like

As does wallowing in victimhood, apparently. :smirk:

11 Likes

Brutal

Forget about the distance between emergency phones on the Golden Gate Bridge. It’s not the main issue. It’s all the other things you post factually incorrect info on. The markedly higher ticket price for foreigners at Taipei 101 was the most recent thing that comes to mind, but it’s a constant thing.

Not really relevant here, tbh. We’re talking about the repeated posting of demonstrably false stuff.

Oh, give it a rest with the victim stuff. Just stop posting false info all the time, be more careful with making authoritative-sounding statements on things you know little about, and it’s fine.

I feel like you feel that every thread needs some input from you, even when you don’t know anything about the topic. It doesn’t, and the advice you provide when doing this is frequently misleading.

13 Likes

I do agree there has been times I felt people just wanted argue with you over something insignificant. But you aren’t doing yourself any favors with some of what you post either

3 Likes

All Homo sapiens secretly believe that the truth is more important than the facts. That’s why we endlessly argue with each other and never get anywhere.

1 Like

Telling someone to buy US$ or Euro to travel to an Asian country instead of a local currency is plain wrong. It’s not necessary and causes more expense than necessary. When TL mentioned being bullied I replied that I did not bully him merely corrected his misinformation

5 Likes

What does this mean? What’s the distinction between “truth” and “facts” supposed to be here?

2 Likes

So, that’s why he’s calling us bullies? :thinking:

1 Like

I hear the words 我覺得… before statements a lot. Maybe there is something more to it. I’m not sure.

That’s all most people do, its just he gets a lot of it, I think @rooftopclown posted him a good link a few days ago that could help.

1 Like