Why do people throw their cigarettes down the gutters?

If nobody took the time to give smokers a hard time there would be more nasty smokers.

It’s not only dangerous it’s also disgusting.

1 Like

" So how long do cigarette butts take to degrade? Various sources have stated that cigarette filters take 18 months to 10 years to degrade. It is safe to say that the cellulose acetate fibers in cigarette filters, like other plastics, are with us for some time after they are discarded. Since environments differ—some places are wetter, dryer, sunnier, colder, hotter, windy, etc.—so too will the degrading time differ. A cigarette butt that is littered in a dry sunny place will degrade differently than one that is littered into a river or on a sandy beach.

But even if cigarette filters were quick to degrade, we would still have fires caused by lit cigarette butts, and the toxins found in cigarette butts would still be harmful … the best way to decrease cigarette butt litter is to educate smokers , rather than try to make filters biodegradable."

2 Likes

Older Taiwanese do as they please, to them, no rules to follow.
They never have! they are not going to start unless the younger Taiwanese pull them up for their ignorant belligerent behavior.
Not going to happen as it’s disrespectful.
I watch them stub cigarettes out on tables, once in foyer of Grand Hyatt, Taipei City.

1 Like

Yes, actually, I do.

If you look around the US, smoking is banned is pretty much all public places. There are designated smoking areas (usually behind dumpsters, where they belong), with a receptacle for cigarette butts. You don’t see cigarette butts all over the ground everywhere like you do in Taiwan because people can’t smoke wherever they want to. There are so many cigarette butts floating around outside my apartment from these past few days that I have genuinely considered getting a terracycle box just so I can responsibly take care of other assholes’ trash.

And just 20 minutes ago, while teaching second graders, I had to stick my head out the window and yell at the maintenance crew because they were smoking outside the classroom. My SECOND GRADERS were all telling ME about the law that forbids smoking on school grounds because “it’s dangerous to your heath” and “kids shouldn’t breathe that stuff”. They told me about the three different places that had signs that said there was a fine for smoking on campus.(and proceeded to argue about what the fine was) And yet, there’s the maintenance crew, smoking right outside the classroom and then telling the foreign teacher that they’re not smoking. True assholes, one and all.

5 Likes

Actually, in countries with water clearing facilities these cigarette butts are PITA.

1 Like

Yeah in Taiwan a lot of them go straight into the river and potentially back into the food supply.

3 Likes

The rather obvious solution to cigarette filters not being biodegradable is to go back to unfiltered cigarettes. This also has the added benefit of removing cigarette smokers from the gene pool more quickly. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Hey my father in law just quit smoking.
If he can do it ANYBODY can do it. There is hope.

2 Likes

They get the ‘tar’ lung!

That may be so, but that’s a different conversation. I’m talking about the effect “open season on smokers” has on the numbers of butts that disappear down public drains.

Taiwan is more like ‘Smokers open season on everybody else’ at times.

Here’s some extended explanation about degradation of cigarette butts

I’ve actually seen some biodegradable filters before, some of which I think contain flower seeds. I think I saw them for the first time in Germany, but I guess they’re something like this.

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea.

4 Likes

Yep but what do you if you are used to the good ole plastic tar taste and need to get your fix ?

Because they are inconsiderate A-holes.

1 Like

before people smoked everywhere, when I was a kid people smoked everywhere, and nobody had any problems with it.
Millenials love to complain about everything. If you want fresh air buy a purifier and stay in the house.

What are “before people”? Chimpanzees?

1 Like

Challenge your lungs!

Taiwan air is too clean these days. Youth are getting weakened by the ease of breathing.

In the day, every scooter looked like this from the rear:

1 Like

Haahaa yup I’m a millennial and I would agree we do tend to bitch and complain about a lot of shit. I think the question was answered earlier when someone said that some people throw cig butts down the drain cause they think it just dissolves. Also just something most people don’t question cause they learn it from those they grew up with. As far as smoking goes I enjoy eating at a restaurant without breathing in smoke but if someone is anywhere outside I could care less. Just bothers the shit out of me when people aim for the gutters when disposing of their smokes and was wondering if people realize what they are doing or if they don’t give a fuck.