Why do people throw their cigarettes down the gutters?

There’s your answer

2 Likes

I find it very ironic when people I consider very well educated, highly moral and overall good people do this. I always just provide my.cup or something and offer to dispose of it and now have the reputation of being the nagging mother who can’t be allowed to see them.litering. Smokers tend to.have a selfish streak in them. And are great at justifying and bending reasoning. Hence, great sales and marketing skills.

Also where I am originally from in the land of wood housing, their excuse there is fire hazard related. Vaping erases that issue.

Good for him. My grandfather died from lung cancer, smoked a pack a day for decades. He continued to smoke till the end until he physically couldn’t anymore. I suppose he did live a long life to 80 smoking a pack a day for maybe 50+ years.

We actually light a cigarette when we visit his grave like one of those incense people light. And get his favorite pack as well. I’m not one to believe in spirits…but those cigarettes burn awfully fast when we light one for him.

4 Likes

:thinking:

Maybe smokers could stay in their houses with all windows and vents closed and let everyone else have fresh air. We’re at what, 50 years of undeniable scientific evidence that smoking is bad for everyone?

3 Likes

So are airborne bacteria and viruses. I’ve been looking for a place or two to quote this:

‘I am happy in my marriage. I am happy with my family but you can never be happy on this planet. We are dumped into a bad situation. Human existence is precarious, terrifying and pointless.’

So, can people please just smoke and you not be bothered by it? They don’t want to stay home and smoke until they die. You shouldn’t want them to either.

1 Like

Neither the :duck: do or should I.

2 Likes

Why? For the same reason I go and buy a coffee in a one-time-use cup with plastic cover when I could take my flask and even save two bucks. People are lazy, and laziness/convenience often wins over environmental concerns. I plead guilty.

Yeah but we don’t throw our coffee cups on the street. For some reason smokers think they can throw their smelly polluting cancer sticks everywhere. Just after they polluted our air. And tried to give us cancer. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

But the waste is created, might end up in the ocean…

I was a smoker in the distant past, and later a quit-smoking instructor.

What I have learned is that as an addict you have more pressing issues than caring for the environment. Smoking makes you feel like shit most of the time. There is not much interested in having a perfect environment around you when you feel like that. The correct thing to do would be carrying around a case to store your buds, but no one wants to carry an ashtray around. Even smokers find it disgusting. Getting rid of the buds is easily done, in secret if needed too. Other smokers do it all the time. The buds will dissolve soon. It’s save because the gutters are wet. It’s dirty down there anyway. Someone will clean up the mess. Etc. etc.

1 Like

Are you accusing me and millions of others of not being addicted to coffee ? :sunglasses:
I’m offended.

And myself. Well, there are degrees of severity when it comes to addictions. I’d say, when it comes to coffee, the feeling-like-shit level is less pronounced, but it certainly rears its ugly head from time to time.

1 Like

Throwing your butts down the drain is dangerous to the environment in the longer term.

People not being able to breathe around you because you’re selfish is immediate and visible harm.

I’d reckon if the government started fining people for throwing their cigarettes down the gutter, people wouldn’t smoke outside as much. Too much fear over being fined even if they’re not the one who did it. More sensibly would be enforcement on the existing laws against smoking. How often do you see piles of butts right under “no smoking NT10,000 fine” signs? Or people smoking right under no smoking signs?

1 Like

That’s a more general issue in Taiwan then, enforcement of existing laws. Government is either not willing or not capable of doing it, for whatever reason.

Cigarette smoking has traditionally been allowed by governments around the world because of the tax revenue it creates and the influence by the tobacco corporations. Cigarette smoking is a dying business, has been for decades, but it sticks around, which is astonishing.

2 Likes

What about chewing gum? Can you spit that into drains?

Asking for a friend. :lying_face:

1 Like

Same goes when I’m outside playing with my chemistry kit.

I think you only should worry if you get some offered to you…
42qb75

2 Likes

A short while ago I saw a guy with a new pack of cigarettes. He unwrapped it and threw the wrapping on the sidewalk. So 1990s.

1 Like

So 3008 in Taiwan years.
They so 2000 and late.

Which is a perfect setup for…

1 Like

I think the words people are looking for are “sellfish assholes”. There is no justifying throwing your garbage everywhere…just sellfish and often quite entitled. Good reasons to not hire smokers unless they prove themselves otherwise…addicts with legal excuses.

2 Likes