Why do so many Taiwanese speak English to foreigners?

Since 1997… nah still a n00b

Since 1997… nah still a n00b[/quote]

:laughing: :bravo:

[quote=“spaint”]Guy needs to press the buttons in the elevator and needs me to get out of the way. “Sorry” isn’t the right word. Excuse me is. Or 不好意思. Or 接過. That’s what I meant by more appropriate.

Or (happened twenty minutes ago) some guys blocking the entire sidewalk. I asked them to jieguo and I get a “sooo-rry” back. I don’t need a sorry because I’m white; I really just need him to get out of the way. Especially when I’ve just addressed him in Chinese…[/quote]

They sorry to each other as well even when the conversation is in Chinese. Why don’t you just teach them to say Excuse Me instead of sorry. Many expats also say sorry instead of excuse me as well.

I just say 幹你娘, 走開啦! They get the message and say lots of 不好意思 or Paisay at all after that. Try it next time.

[quote]Guy needs to press the buttons in the elevator and needs me to get out of the way. “Sorry” isn’t the right word. Excuse me is. Or 不好意思. Or 接過. That’s what I meant by more appropriate.

Or (happened twenty minutes ago) some guys blocking the entire sidewalk. I asked them to jieguo and I get a “sooo-rry” back. I don’t need a sorry because I’m white; I really just need him to get out of the way. Especially when I’ve just addressed him in Chinese.
[/quote]
Seems to me that your beef is more to do with locals who speak bad English. I would assume, then, that your Chinese is absolutely flawless. I dunno. I’m just having a devil of a time trying to imagine how wound-up and unchilled I’d need to be before such a thing as a bloke saying “sorry” instead of “excuse me” would elicit such irritation in my world. DAMN! boy! Go to the beach! Have a swim! You’re going to end up with stomach ulcers or worse! :laughing:

[quote=“sandman”][quote]Guy needs to press the buttons in the elevator and needs me to get out of the way. “Sorry” isn’t the right word. Excuse me is. Or 不好意思. Or 接過. That’s what I meant by more appropriate.

Or (happened twenty minutes ago) some guys blocking the entire sidewalk. I asked them to jieguo and I get a “sooo-rry” back. I don’t need a sorry because I’m white; I really just need him to get out of the way. Especially when I’ve just addressed him in Chinese.
[/quote]

Seems to me that your beef is more to do with locals who speak bad English. I would assume, then, that your Chinese is absolutely flawless. I dunno. I’m just having a devil of a time trying to imagine how wound-up and unchilled I’d need to be before such a thing as a bloke saying “sorry” instead of “excuse me” would elicit such irritation in my world. DAMN! boy! Go to the beach! Have a swim! You’re going to end up with stomach ulcers or worse! :laughing:[/quote]

I’ve seen the reactions from people when Sandman is carrying his sax and other gear, wearing his kilt to do a bit of busking.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]
They sorry to each other as well even when the conversation is in Chinese. Why don’t you just teach them to say Excuse Me instead of sorry. Many expats also say sorry instead of excuse me as well. [/quote]

I’ve recently begun to doubt my ability to teach anyone anything in English. My girlfriend frequently corrects me or feeds me the vocab words I’m lacking when I’m in the middle of a rant.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]
I just say 幹你娘, 走開啦! They get the message and never say lots of 不好意思 at all after that. Try it next time.[/quote]

Ooh! That’s a good one! I’ve been using 衝(??)啥痟 in the elevators but it hasn’t helped much.

[quote=“sandman”]
Seems to me that your beef is more to do with locals who speak bad English. I would assume, then, that your Chinese is absolutely flawless. I dunno. I’m just having a devil of a time trying to imagine how wound-up and unchilled I’d need to be before such a thing as a bloke saying “sorry” instead of “excuse me” would elicit such irritation in my world. DAMN! boy! Go to the beach! Have a swim! You’re going to end up with stomach ulcers or worse! :laughing:[/quote]

Believe it or not, I’ve mellowed an awful lot the last few years. Stomach ulcers are NOT on my agenda.

Unfortunately my Chinese is NOT flawless. I have the usual problem of poor tones, so I know that I’m a total hypocrite for being irritated by poor English. But for all that guy knows, English isn’t even my first language. He should be speaking to me in his own language.

The irritation is perhaps simply because I cannot blend into the background here. I’m always so delighted when someone (like the previously-mentioned taxi drivers) just takes me at face value and talks about politics, road conditions, having kids etc…

Also, I hear the “sorry” thing nearly every day. I’ve been working here (in this office) for two and a half years; it’s beginning to get on my tits.

[quote=“spaint”]. But for all that guy knows, English isn’t even my first language. He should be speaking to me in his own language.

Also, I hear the “sorry” thing nearly every day. I’ve been working here (in this office) for two and a half years; it’s beginning to get on my tits.[/quote]

Yes but you are complaining about the locals using the word sorry when it is in their own language now. Your hear it nearly everyday, that should give you some indication it’s commonly used, and not just to you.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“spaint”]. But for all that guy knows, English isn’t even my first language. He should be speaking to me in his own language.

Also, I hear the “sorry” thing nearly every day. I’ve been working here (in this office) for two and a half years; it’s beginning to get on my tits.[/quote]

Yes but you are complaining about the locals using the word sorry when it is in their own language now. Your hear it nearly everyday, that should give you some indication it’s commonly used, and not just to you.[/quote]

Can I keep it as a pet personal hate?

Yes but you are complaining about the locals using the word sorry when it is in their own language now. Your hear it nearly everyday, that should give you some indication it’s commonly used, and not just to you.[/quote]

Can I keep it as a pet personal hate?[/quote]

Absolutely. No-one should take that away from you. You have to give it up all by yourself. :smiley:

Shit. He’s on to us. But in Sat TV’s defense, at least he’s not doing it on purpose.

Thread-winning point right here?

Shit. He’s on to us. But in Sat TV’s defense, at least he’s not doing it on purpose.[/quote]

Be careful Sandman, there are all sorts of laws here for suing for insults. I’d hate to have to sue you just because I’m a bit heavier set than you are. :whistle:

Only if he said it to a Korean. Fiesty fellas are those Koreans

Punched in the face? That’s New York for you.

That’s all? Since when did YOU become so polite?

Why don’t you just teach them to say Excuse Me instead of sorry. Many expats also say sorry instead of excuse me as well. [/quote]

Nine out of ten well mannered Englishmen would say “Sorry” in that situation. We say it automatically when we inconvenience someone by wanting to move past or reach across them. The less well mannered of my countrymen would just grunt, growl or explete.

I’m a stand up guy, a model of PC politeness.

Why don’t you just teach them to say Excuse Me instead of sorry. Many expats also say sorry instead of excuse me as well. [/quote]

Nine out of ten well mannered Englishmen would say “Sorry” in that situation. We say it automatically when we inconvenience someone by wanting to move past or reach across them. The less well mannered of my countrymen would just grunt, growl or explete.[/quote]

I don’t think I know ten well-mannered Englishmen. I’m a lot more familiar with the second type of countryman you described.

Thread-winning point right here?[/quote]

No. What’s the point exactly? That Americans are hyper-emotional and reactive? Kudos to the Taiwanese for being nowhere near as moody? If there’s a winning point to be made, it was already posted a few pages back: This whole speaky Englishee thing is a non-issue relating to cultural differences.

Nine out of ten well mannered Englishmen would say “Sorry” in that situation. We say it automatically when we inconvenience someone by wanting to move past or reach across them. The less well mannered of [color=#0000FF]my countrymen[/color] would just grunt, growl or explete.[/quote]

Huh, you’re more of a local than most other forumosans here. You’re not really British anymore. When you go back to the UK they speak funny and act strange, and you think and dream in Chinese. My wives says I talks in my sleeps in Chinese. She never tells me what I have been saying though.

Thread-winning point right here?[/quote]

word!

MuchaM I live in Taiwan for about 13 years, married with a child and I experience mentioned things on a regular basis and I do not like it. If you have different problems here, voila’ I am sure you like to post about it sometimes.