Why do Taipei bus drivers drive crazy (a hoon)?

I think even today it is still more accurately described as a thrill ride as you say. So it is a bit of a case of product mis-labelling. Sure, they have elderly seats, and stop buttons, indeed it looks like a regular urban bus service. But perhaps, to not be so misleading, a more appropriate fitout would be to have skull and cross bones painted on the windows, and death metal music playing inside.

1 Like

Good god man what route(s) are you taking?

The routes I take often have disciplined decent drivers. Training (and driving culture) varies by bus company. Name and shame! : D

Guy

Today’s drivers are tame in comparison to those in the early 90’s. Line 205 in Taipei was notorious for drivers racing each other. And they were rude. Suspect some of them were related to the mob.

1 Like

Maybe yes, but I have done the same in a car. But still the bus clearly did not stop at the red light. Got to wonder if in car if the bus hit on the drivers side it would been worse?

Lots of bad habits—cutting corners, taking a bad route, increasing risk all around.

Guy

2 Likes

You can’t be serious.

This isn’t limited to bus drivers but it certainly makes the stakes higher…I love when they decide race me on my bicycle only to park themselves at a red light. I’d say in 8 out ten opportunities, they make this choice. The other two sensibly cruise behind me and don’t cut me off or put me into a curb.

1 Like

Standard practice here; to try and beat the oncoming traffic.

2 Likes

Its simple taiwan road hierarchy. A bus is one of the biggest vehicles and not to be fucked with. They do not expect to be challenged whether the light is red or not.

You can see the hierarchy in action every time you cross the road. People RUN even though the green light is for pedestrians and they have priority.

3 Likes

That’s what I’ve grokked too, there is no civility on the roads, just a sort of mechanical version of the jungle.

4 Likes

Oh, and the rolling stops! They would not come to a complete stop, and you’d have to jump on as the bus was in motion!
Bus drivers today are a dream compared to 30 years ago. And people thanking bus drivers? Never used to happen. The fact that they do now is a big plus in public civility.

1 Like

Yep, when did that start? I sometimes xiexie them too, but I am always wondering what they might think. Do they feel appreciated or do they think, “yeah, whatever, f you too”?

2 Likes

I dunno, say it if you mean it. :slight_smile:

This. They make me feel like if I were 80 yo.

I’m so tired of TW bus drivers, it’s fuckin’ ridiculous. Plus all buses seem to be too old and automatic transmission, and drivers never shift to N so that buses shatter to shit every single traffic light or stop.

3 Likes

Taiwan bus drivers are normally very rude

The busses will be AI driven before you know it. Hopefully it will be calmer then.

and hopefully it won’t be one of those AI who decides in a millisecond that all humans have to die, so now they drive into people intentionally.

1 Like

There are a few bus drivers that are very polite. Greet each passenger as they get on, make eye contact and smile politely, etc. I always appreciate that in the morning. Reminds me that I’m starting the day surrounded by humans and not a-holes.

Others absolutely love accelerating and slamming on the breaks and then staring at everyone through the rearview mirror as if to challenge anyone to dare report dislocated shoulders. You can report bad drivers though. If you have the driver’s ID info, the city government (in Taipei anyway) will investigate.

If you are a scooter driver there are greater dangers on the road such as gravel and cement truck drivers. Annoy they and some of them will either kill or badly injure you by doing such things as speeding up when you are over taking, or “blind” siding you. Bike drivers do not mess with them!

Driving etiquette in Taiwan is really bad. Drivers do not care about pedestrians, they drive on red light, it is the same with scooters. I walk a lot and have had plenty of situations in which I was nearly knocked down by a car or scooter including a woman who was riding her scooter on pavement!

2 Likes