Why do Taipei bus drivers drive crazy (a hoon)?

Driving a scooter/bike or car, I think the worst drivers to be near are Taipei city bus drivers? See the video where the bus runs the red light. Are they under pressure to be on time?, or is that kind of drivers they hire? Here in Kaoshiung driving around the bus, they now days tend be more mellow. Taipei bus drivers are like a hoon (Aussie/NZ slang)

2 Likes

If I was thinking from their POV, driving a giant bus all day 5x a week on the same route is extremely boring. Driving risky might be the only excitement they feel all day.

2 Likes

I also find they have terrible accelerator control. They always alternate between flooring the accelerator and slamming on the brake. So I always get sick on the bus.

19 Likes

Have you ever driven a huge truck. Thats kind of how they drive.

1 Like

Some bus drivers are polite and are good drivers, and some are rude as fuck and stomp the brake at every opportunity. I think they are just real surly and like to see passengers struggle to hold on.

It’s a tough job. I don’t envy ‘em none.

4 Likes

Yes, and no it’s not, unless you’re a beginner or a very poor driver.

1 Like

That was a stupid turn too.

4 Likes

I’ve been on buses “in the good ol days” where there were no bus specific lanes like Taipei has now. And every ride was a thrill ride.
It’s simply amazing they don’t get into an accident every 2 minutes.
All this time riding Taipei buses I have only once been involved in a bus accident (that is the bus I was on was in an accident). And this was coming down FuTanBridge (now demolished railway bridge) where the bus driver yelled out because he knew he wasn’t going to be able to stop to avoid the accident that just happened ahead of him where a blue truck smashed into some other vehicle and we smashed into the back of the blue truck. But we were not going that fast but still it technically carries some blame for him because hitting something from the rear is considered to be at fault. Anyways, we were ok, but the blue truck driver had blood coming from his forehead.

Otherwise as I said, all those rides and a lot of them of the almost amusement park variety and only one accident.

Still being a motorcycle / scoot rider you should know to NEVER be the first one off the line on a green because there MAY be someone running a RED which can make you DEAD.

7 Likes

What gets me is the locals all politely saying xie xie as they get off. It’s just not a job well done enough to deserve any gratitude. Thank you for not dislocating my hip Mr Driver man.

2 Likes

I make a point to thank the good drivers. Only the good ones.

7 Likes

Civility helps make Taipei a better city. I say thanks to the drivers too when I can (though with the coronavirus situation, I prefer to keep my masked mouth shut!).

Guy

5 Likes

They always run on the red light… Crazy BUS DRIVERS!

3 Likes

I think it’s xiexieni I’m still alive

7 Likes

Another day at the office, I hope the scooter driver didn’t get too injured?

Can’t bring myself to say thank you when my youngest child almost gets thrown out of his seat as we pull up. Saying thank you for this sort of service makes it look like you have no standards. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Driving risky would mean speeding or stuff like that, but from the video it’s more likely the driver was half asleep and didn’t see the red light.
In general terms, I agree though, must be a very boring job and not very healthy for the back.

2 Likes

My thoughts too, I see that a lot in Taiwan when turning left.

4 Likes

Reading the comments on the You Tube video, they mention they are like UberEats, the more trips or runs they make in a day the more cash they get. Can this be true? I see in Kaoshiung ads for bus driver NT$40,000+ a month, so I thought it should be a fixed wage job but maybe not??

Would be very surprised if it was the case, never heard about that.

I’ve always heard they get paid more when they have more customers so they try to make more runs but I think it’s a brain dead job and driving like they are in F1 is simply fun