Why do Taiwanese people love Japan so much?

Wartime occupation is a little different from being a colony during more peaceful times.

Taiwan was already a Japanese colony for a long time before WWII broke out. When the war broke out the Taiwanese were Japanese patriots and fought for Japan.

Thereā€™s no shortage of reasons to assign blame to the Japanese for WW2, thatā€™s for sure.

On the situation of ā€œdraftsā€ for the indigenous peoples back then. Due to the Japanese era Koseki (Civil registration) laws, through out most of the Japanese rule, the indigenous people didnā€™t have Koseki, and as a result were not eligible for drafts.

Among the elderly Amis I know, a brother was killed in the Philippines serving the Japanese. Despite this I have not heard any negative perceptions towards the Japanese. The brother was honored as a war hero.

1 Like

My grand-uncle, my grand-motherā€™s brother on my motherā€™s side, was drafted and sent to SEA and never returned. Iā€™ve never heard my grand parents say anything negative about the Japanese either. Instead, my grandpa would often complain about the KMT in secret to me in Taigi when he took me out on walks once or twice a year when I go back to visit him on holidays, but being raised only in Mandarin I couldnā€™t understand him, and only got bits and pieces of what he said years later when I started to pick up Taigi on my own.

1 Like

My father-in-law was a member of the TakasagoVolunteers, serving as a jungle scout in the Philippines, and quite proud of his service.

My wife has the use-name Okim, and her brothers were named Eki and Hiru, and her sister, Odai. Most of the Amis of her generation used shortened Japanese names- Mandarin names were just for official use. When we got married in Hong Kong, I could barely stumble through her Chinese name, having used it so rarely. Knowing me as Mai-ke, she had an equally hard time with my first, middle, and last names- the JP officiating had to be assured we actually knew each other.

1 Like

When I toured the Bunun reservation they were quite critical of the Japanese. They forced them out of their homes in mountains into the foothills, where they were constantly susceptible to flooding.

I find this really cringey. High schoolersā€™ performance at national day celebrations? Kā€¦

Who do you love?

Guy

Polls show Taiwanese like Singapore more.

The market says otherwise. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

Also why are they going to Hokkaido for Lunar New Year? Supposed to go home.

They also performed at Rose Parade in Pasadena (twice), the only Japanese marching band to ever perform there twice. (Professionals included, and also denied but they were invited. Thatā€™s how GOOD they are.)

2 Likes

Really you should come and have a look at Taiwan some time.

A few things have changed over the years. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

So itā€™s not a thing anymore? That sucks.

Thereā€™s more flexibility now. More shops are open during that time too.

Guy

1 Like

Btw, my parents will be going home. Yes, they know about the quarantine.

The 0+7 arrival scheme comes into effect on October 13. Barring future changes, itā€™ll be a lot easier to visit.

Guy

1 Like

given that in the +7 period no one cares, and actually cannot even check, itā€™s basically like going back to pre-covid arrivals (still the stupid arrival quota though).

Since there are no tracking app to scan QR codes to enter premises, the +7 period is just like ā€œif u feel bad, stay homeā€, unlike HK where in the +3 period you are given a yellow code on arrival which prevents you to enter ā€œregulated premisesā€ such as restaurants, bars, cinemas, etcā€¦ (btw you also need a negative rapid test result within 24 hrs to enter bars in HK or to dine in more than 12 ppl)

1 Like