Why do Taiwanese people love Japan so much?

As someone who lived in China for years, in a part of the country ruled by a Japanese puppet state during WWII, anti-Japanese sentiment was high. And it seems that everywhere else that was occupied by Japan, people hate Japan. Yet Taiwan was occupied by Japan longer than anywhere else, yet the people here love Japan. Why is that? Were the Japanese more lenient to Taiwan than the rest of their empire? Is it a reaction against the KMT?

2 Likes

a little bit anti kmt, add that the mainland and CCP arent a role model, with a dash of beaten wife syndrome.

2 Likes

Also anime is pretty dope sometimes

2 Likes

Japan is friendly to Taiwan and supportive of its existence.
Nobody denies Japan’s human rights situation was poor, but Taiwan was a poor backwater under the Ch’ing and the Ch’ing did not really care much for Taiwan. Japan built Taiwan out. The KMT was worse.

16 Likes

Really? Imperial Japan was similar to Nazi Germany in its brutality. Was Chiang Kai-shek really worse than Imperial Japan?

In Taiwan, yes.

11 Likes

Remember 228??

4 Likes

Was brutal and corrupt, but he did build up the island pretty well.

Shokushu goukan, Omorashi , sake and Maria Ozawa

3 Likes

I’m aware of the bad things that the KMT did from 1940s to the 1980s, but they also did some good things. WWII Japan was pretty much an unmitigated force for evil.

1 Like

Compared to Mao, the Cultural Revolution, etc.?

4 Likes

Taiwan was on Japan’s side in WWII.

2 Likes

Unlike most colonies of the west, Taiwan was built up by Japan as a way to flex against the west.

Yes, they were oppressive in many ways. But they also did invest a lot into the island with schools, hospitals, infrastructure, even the rice we eat that’s famous has roots from Japan and was bred by the Japanese to be able to grow in taiwans climate. I believe Taiwan actually sends some rice to Japan each year as a symbolic thank you.

While Japan did some brutal and fucked up things, many do acknowledge they also helped Taiwan develop into the country it is today.

11 Likes

The same could be said for Japan in Taiwan.

They didn’t massacre people here like Nanjing

2 Likes

But so was Korea.

Pretty similar IMO.

Jesus. Isn’t she dead by now? Time to get rid of those old Betamax tapes and learn how to use the internet, bro.

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

I’m definitely much younger than you and @jimipresley and knowing who she is makes me feel old.

1 Like

Kool aid time!

In fact CKS took a wealthy advanced island and stripped it to the ground, brutalized its people, smashed its languages, jailed its dissidents . . . and walked out of the UN, leaving us in our current predicament. I am sorry, this track record sucks.

Guy

4 Likes

The way they treated the Koreans and the way they treated the Taiwanese was vastly different. The Japanese were in the process of integrating Taiwan into Japan and turning Taiwanese into Japanese.

6 Likes