Why do Taiwanese people love Japan so much?

They did some pretty f&cked up stuff to Indigenous insurgents, including the use of gas and chemical warfare. It was pretty brutal.

Guy

2 Likes

Definitely not an expert here, but didn’t the US (Nixon) kick out Taiwan in favor of the mainland? That’s a little different from walking out of the UN…

… and pretty sure Taiwan was not wealthy and advanced at the end of WWII

1 Like

I’ve watched shit going back to A Free Ride!!!

A Free Ride - Wikipedia

I sort of remember seeing some Youtube vids of her doing some foodie stuff…

And only just noticed this… but she sort of looks like Phoebe Cates

Ask any Taiwanese person if Taiwan was wealthy back then.

They’ll tell you stories about walking to school without shoes.

This is ridiculous.

1 Like

They offered two seats for China. CKS refused.

1 Like

Exactly —Taiwanese love CCK cuz he made em rich.

It wasn’t CCK, it was people like KT Li.

Taiwan’s tech sector had been in the works since he 1960s.

1 Like

Taking the ROCs gold reserve to the island also helped with the new currency fighting Hyperinflation.

Many people don’t know this but it’s probably one of the reasons why China is obsessed with building their gold reserves. Westerners often rationalize Chinas activities through their lens and rationality. But China does a lot of things based on the concept of rebuilding their empire from the humiliation they felt they unfairly faced.

3 Likes

Interesting… never really dug into the backstory

Though sounds like it wasn’t so simple as CKS refusing. Yes, news outlets are biased but if there’s one that would want to make CKS look bad, Taipei Times is certainly it

I’ll wait until you read some “Tawan News” articles lol.

1 Like

Taiwan News isn’t erudite enough to make anyone look bad

1 Like

Correct. But not because he cared about Taiwanese people, but he knew you can’t be a military power and take back the mainland without being an economic power.

2 Likes

but the KMT did to taiwanese 228 incident

1 Like

CCK did a lot to help taiwan become what it is today.

2 Likes

I was at the sports complex in tunhua n.rd one day on my bike (i was a kid) and CCK drove by slowly in his caddy with window rolled down. I recognized him.

Shoulda said Hey bro whats happenin man?

6 Likes

My Taiwanese wife loves the quality of life in Japan but thinks all Japanese people are two-faced devils who think Taiwanese people are inferior because that was how she was raised to believe. Nothing will shake her from that conviction. No matter how kind and helpful a Japanese person is she’s convinced it’s all just a front and they’re really up to something. It’s quite ludicrous.

2 Likes

Okay once and for all I can answer this question in the most fundamental way.

From Taiwan’s POV, Japan is an intra-civilizational state whereas the Jurchen, Khitans, Turks, Mongols, Siberians, and the Soviet Communists are extra-civilizational states. States whose power is based in Peking do not deserve more love and allegiance than states whose power is based on other islands such as the Japanese Islands.

Seafaring pirates like Koxinga being born in Japan by a Japanese mother in Nagasaki carries more legitimacy than a Jurchen born by a Mongol mother in Peking.

The type of question asked by OP usually originates from the misconception that what we call “China” today is not a state that is fundamentally a Northern Power with a Northern worldview. It’s almost like making the mistaking in thinking the state that is based in Istanbul (formerly Constantinople ) is just a successor to the Roman Empire whereas in fact it is a Caliphate.

Peking states (such as the Mongols, the Jurchen(aka Manchu), and the Communists) hold a Northern-centric, Eurasia worldview that is naturally antagonistic to the Pacific world order, which one can think of as the Mediterranean Major.

The OP question is also akin to someone like me asking why the Chinese people love Russia so much.

2 Likes

Japanese rule in Taiwan was not a military occupation, but simply a transfer of power from Manchurian Emperor in Peking to a Japanese Emperor in Tokyo. Taiwanese were subjects of the empires, and from that POV the Manchu Empire was no better, no more benign, no more legitimate than the Japanese Empire.

WW2 was 1941-to-1945 but that was only the last 4 out of 50 years of Japanese rule. Taiwanese were subjects of the Empire and naturally fought with the Japanese, not against.

*omission: Japanese expansion into the Central/Eastern Taiwan was indeed military conquest. Omitted as usual in most discussions.

3 Likes