Why do Taiwanese people love Japan so much?

May I ask what are her views of all Americans? :popcorn:

Guy

1 Like

Why do you insist on putting words into others’ mouths?

What part of brutal and corrupt do you fail to understand?

Where did I mention a track record?

My point was that many, especially foreigners and those in the youngest generation, see things as black and white though things are usually gray.

I’d rather look at the whole puzzle rather than an individual piece.

She sees America and Americans thru rose-colored glasses. I take full advantage of it.

3 Likes

You said he “built up the island pretty well.”

I am sorry, I don’t think that is consistent with CKS’s track record. I have no idea what historical sources (other than KMT hagiography) you are following.

Guy

As others have said, he stabilized the currency, presided over the Taiwan Miracle, built the highways, supported the Uyghurs and women’s rights, etc.

In the face of communist aggression a degree of control and brutality was probably necessary. It sucks and definitely went too far, but that’s how the world was/is.

To state he didn’t have a hand in turning Taiwan into what it is today is ludicrous.

Are you confusing CKS with his son?

Guy

1 Like

Exactly when do you think the foundations were laid?

Who started Taiwan’s export economy?

The Land Reform Act?

That is exactly the point.

The key infrastructure that led to Taiwan’s take off in the 1920s and 1930s was a joint effort of the people of Taiwan and Japanese colonial administration.

CKS presided (1945-1975) over the stripping down and impoverishment of this place. Who in Taiwan other than KMT ideologues think of that period as the golden era? It wasn’t. Those are arguable some of the worst time in the history of this island.

The so-called “Taiwan miracle” you referenced was an invention of the west. Social scientists that came to talk to actual Taiwan people during that time learned that they felt Taiwan was just catching up to where they used to be in the 1930s. And that is one answer the question posed in the name of this thread: “Why do Taiwanese people love Japan so much”?

My source is Bruce Cumings, the eminent historian at the University of Chicago. Who is your source to give this credit to CKS?

Guy

I read many sources. Perhaps that’s your problem.

So no named credible sources.

Forumosans can decide for themselves.

Bye for now!

Guy

In the 30s Taiwan was exporting about half of their agricultural output, but efforts to expand into other sectors failed, likely because of the war.

After the war, KMT efforts were successful.

I don’t see how anyone can dispute this

Nevermind asking people how they “feel” is not a good way to assess where they are at, I have never heard in my family lore anything about getting poorer under CKS.

They don’t look at the past. The government change.

There is a difference between CKS ie cash my check ie ol peanut head
And his son CCK who was educated in Russia and had a Russian wife who was instrumental in allowing Taiwan to head on the road to a two party country
And set in place at lest ten major projects

CKS succeeded in conning the USA out of taiwan and departing China with all its gold and its top treasures

CCK helped more to build the country

But if CKS had chosen hainan island todays taiwan would be hainan and perhaps taiwan given back to Japan as was Okinawa

The USA as conquering power legally owns taiwan

1 Like

Yes. CKS was also a major Hitler fan boy.

Not very constructive man, 1945 isnt that long ago… I have quite a few family members that lived through that time period and told me stories of how it went. You dont need academic sources for sharing such experiences.

So . . . do they view that time as the good old days?

And if not, then well then we’re actually in agreement.

Guy

I’m not focused on agreeing/disagreeing, just that I find “no sources” = “bye” is not very cool.
I enjoyed reading everyone’s thoughts on this matter.

1 Like

If I am a bit terse, it may be because I am tired of the old CKS hagiography. The guy was presented as a hero in dictatorship-era education and media (an era that extended for the entirety of his rule over Taiwan). I’m not especially fond of having that kind of narrative repeated without question, especially as we now have access to tons more materials and an open society in which to discuss things, including such “great leader” narratives.

Guy

1 Like

He thought that Hitler and Mussolini did some good things for their nations’ economies, but he opposed them.