Why do whites get so triggered when they see 'Republic of China'?

I knew it!

No thank you. I value what little sanity I have left.

1 Like

Ya, white folks should stop trying to fix things. Taiwanese are very good about addressing problems.

1 Like

Ok… maybe us fragile whites shouldn’t risk going over to Reddit.
Could some intrepid people pop over and catch a few comments of “Whites flipping out…”
And paste them here.
As an earlier poster said. There’s “The Republic of China” and “The People’s Republic of China” and locals call it China the mainland.
I’ve never read any complaint from foreigns.
Please don’t say “Don’t take the bait?”
By making this statement about triggered foreigners, you’ve promised me at least one triggered comment.

the taiwan reddit group? i don’t think any meaningful conversation is happening there. that is strictly a taiwan bumlicker group. say anything out of line such as taiwan has pollution or the traffic sucks and you will be shamed and downvoted.

4 Likes

My thoughts on this matter remain the same.

They’re ageist too. They hate anyone over the age of 30.

There is a strata of foreigner in Taiwan who care more about Taiwanese identity issues than locals

6 Likes

Absolutely. They try to out local each other. I remember one lectured my TW wife on how she was really aboriginal for 10 min when she isnt.

2 Likes

You didn’t do anything about it for ten minutes?

1 Like

I did. It was like 10 years ago, but think I said something like “I think my wife knows where her family is from”. It was at dinner. Great fun.

1 Like

I think it’s a kind of adaption mechanism. They’re over adapting to what they think the Taiwanese life experience is all about because it’s what comes up in the English news all the time. Plus almost anyone from a western country became anti-China long before they got here. All we really see coming out of China is politically motivated abuse. Legions of spitting tourists don’t help either. Taiwanese as a separate identity is an easy position to hold and defend.

1 Like

I think it’s very likely to be more complicated than that, assuming they’re from Western countries. Many of them come from places where a very similar strata exists, although it tends not to be Taiwanese identity they latch onto (fair warning: link may be triggering, click at your own risk).

1 Like

That was a very interesting article.

That article is basically a long explanation of the term “baizuo” !

sure that might be true for some but anyone who has real strong feelings about the china situation probably has more stake in it. i’ve lived there, so i feel sometimes taiwanese people do not take the thread of china seriously enough.

Yeah, but I’ve been in Taiwan since Friends was on TV and no one was woke then, but every expat I met was certain Taiwanese was a separate identity than Chinese whether they knew any Chinese or not. Back then, a lot of Taiwanese would still admit that they were genetically and principally culturally Chinese but still wanted to be separate as a nation at least for now. These days, surveys show that very few feel much connection to China at all. Whether China ever wins the war, they’ve lost the hearts of the Taiwanese. The Chinese Nationalist Party didn’t help either.

A threat, yes, but having lived in both places, what do you think about the identity issue?

1 Like

i feel that most taiwanese have it right. they are pretty much different to the chinese on the mainland at this point. different enough to just call themselves taiwanese.
i don’t really think they need to distance themselves from chinese culture / roots as much as try to. but i know the reason why they do it.

i think the pro china kmt taiwanese are pretty much demented. a relationship with china could be formed, if its mutual, which is not ever happening under the CCP. whatever china the kmt left those years ago is long gone.

and i think the mainlanders who claim taiwan to be the same as china don’t know the first thing about taiwan. as far as they are concerned its fujian province part 2.

Same reason I stay away from my family.