Why do women change their surnames?

And how is woman taking a man’s name mysogynistic and or discriminatory? I think in the old days it meant something closer to that, but certainly not now. And just so’s you knows, my wife did not even consider taking my surname, and I didn’t take hers.

2 Likes

True. Taxes change, insurance, etc.

1 Like

I’ll admit that it can be practical. Hence, I got married; a practice that I abhor. That doesn’t make it right, though.

3 Likes

Sure it does, or why’d you do it? Surely not to make an honest woman out of your wife. I’d guess there were far more practical reasons to form a legal bond, which made sense and hence was the right thing to do.

Don’t be like Garth, bro.

1 Like

I think back in the old days it was for practical reasons and to provide verbal clarity as to which family you’re part of (how can a father or mother have a different family name than their child?) but now we have ID cards, birth certificates, etc. to provide proof of familial relationships.

But I will say there is still modern-day practicality to changing your surname to match that of your spouse. For example, when I worked in the hotel industry, we would not allow a guest to check in who provided someone else’s name on their reservation, but if they provided a name that contains the same surname as them, we would assume they are related or married and allow them to check in under that name.

2 Likes

You work for the Moral Police?

they are usuallyt old to. after enough centuries it becomes expected.

we didn’t change our names at marriage. though the kids took mine in english and hers in mandarin.

2 Likes

Well, that seems sensible.

Same here.

1 Like

No, we just didn’t want to give someone a room that was reserved by someone else, and leave the original person without a room in case we were fully booked.

2 Likes

Same here. My wife remains Lee, and I, Presley.
But the cats are fucking Presley.

2 Likes

You should demand they wear protection.

7 Likes

The boy’s been castrated. The girls are lesbians. I’m out of the loop.

2 Likes

One writes one’s name on all one’s possessions. And we all happily acquiesce, proud to “take his name”, throwing away our own identity/backstory/lineage for the security and protection of being a (hopefully) treasured thing that he now owns.

That’s seems a bit dark and depressing.

I don’t write my name on things I own because I know once I own them they can be lost, stolen or simply fall apart.

You make marriage sound like Ming the Merciless’s thought machine trying to suck the you out of you.

Try to think less of yourself and these little things should bother you less or maybe not at all.

1 Like

Indeed, it does. That’s why I’m asking the simple question: Why do most women, especially in “western” society, adopt their husband’s surname?
It’s not for convenience. It seems like a moral obligation.

1 Like

You got two answers above,

Yet, it seems you’re looking for a different answer… :thinking:

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: From surnames

My wife did not take my last name, nor I hers.
However, at the time of the first child’s birth, she had me change my chinese surname on my ARC to her family’s. I was told it was done in order for our child to then take her family’s surname. I changed my chinese surname back to its original one only a few months afterward. I didn’t have to do it for the second child as maybe either 1) the laws changed, or 2) the first child set a precedent in our family. Anyway, it was funny having my wife’s surname on my ARC for a month or 2. HR at my job (then) helped change it, and didn’t ask any questions, as if it was normal.

3 Likes

Many women in the USA now keep their maiden name maybe as divorce is so rampant

Weirdly many who took their husbands surname and then got divorced kept their ex husbands surname

What is dumb to me is naming their babies with both their surnames

Like Jackie smith-Jones