Why does everyone have a brown carpet on their dashboard?

Back to cars replaced my gas
Cap but car still smells of gas
Took to mechanic next door who reckons I overfillled the tank and should be ok later
Hope so
He saw no leaks but signs the gas tank overfilled

Maybe the gas station. Pump failed to shut off fast enough

Hmm. Just googled it and was finished in a few minutesā€¦

Though on a serious note, wondering about the fading nite above. Seems plausible.

California? Pftui!

You call THAT sun?

Ahā€¦ Ok, perhaps you can. Unless you are talking to an Australian.

Interesting chart. I wonder if we can tie that back to dash carpet color selection. Taiwan looks pretty mild!

Iā€™ve been told itā€™s to reduce reflections in the windshield. But thinking about itā€¦ Not sure that makes more sense than to protect the dashboard from sun/heat damage. Without them, the dashboards will fade and crack from the harsh Taiwan sun and heat.

1 Like

I get that the point is to protect the dashboard from sun/heat damage, and without them, the dashboards will fade and crack from the harsh Taiwan sun and heat.

Is the sun here really that strong? What type of time frame does it usually take for that to happen here? Like if I get a new car, is it going to start showing signs in 5 years before I unload it to the next guy?

1 Like

Yes

Depends on where you park it and what type of car you buy.

As above! Newer cars with their environmentally friendly plastics are far more prone to the issue, particularly European cars. A 20 year old Premio parked outside all itā€™s life may be perfectly fine, a 5 year old VW Golf will fair a lot worse.

1 Like

Mines 1986. Dashboard is OK, even though I only occaisionally use the silvery plastic internal window blind thing when parked, and it can get hot enough that the steering wheel needs doused in cold water before I can drive it.
Platic liners in the boot area were brittle, and it had a bad leak so I took them out and either threw them away or lost them.

On the Asian map Taiwan is still pretty small, but you can see a California stylee hot pink zone down the SW coast, where Iā€™m at.

Ah, you are right.
But I have had some old cars, and the areas under the back window and the back seat upholstery were the main areas that deteriorated on them.

In this link you can find some common questions about dashboard covers

1. What is the purpose of a dash cover?

Intense UV rays that penetrate your windshield cause both cosmetic fading and physical damage to your dash over a period of time. This means that your dashboard will deteriorate and not only look less desirable it will also take a big hit to the resale value as the dashboard is one of the first things buyers see and a good indicator of how well the vehicle was maintained. A DashMat is specially designed to protect your dashboard from fading, cracking, and deteriorating all while adding an upscale look to your dashboard.

Think of a dash cover as a protective shield for your dashboard. The perfect fit paired w/ hook & loop strips if needed keep the DashMat in place as you round corners or slam on your breaks. The material is designed to block UV rays from reaching your factory dash while also absorbing heat. If you wait to long to protect your factory dash the material becomes super brittle and just falls apart and the only way to fix is to replace your dashboard panel which isnā€™t cheap.

Sources:
https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/dash-covers