Why does Taiwan produce the worst beer in Asia?

[quote=“Elegua”][quote=“fee”][quote=“Elegua”]No it doesn’t. The worst beer in the Asia is Star

[/quote]

I dunno. Star beer tasted pretty darned good upon our return to KTM, after a few weeks on the Anapurna circuit.

It’s not the best beer in Asia, but I have some fond memories of Star beer, believe it or not.

But then I’m one for drinking the local beer in whichever country I am in–Beer Lao in Laos, Angkor Beer in Cambodia, Singha or Chang in Thailand, too many to remember in Vietnam, or even Haywards 5000 Strong in India or Red Panda in Bhutan.

I still say that Taiwan beer is the best accompaniment to Taiwanese food. Proof of this is at the Taiwan Beer Bar in Taipei–grilled Taiwanese sausages with cloves of garlic and a big glass of draft Taiwanese beer–nothing better.[/quote][/quote]

:slight_smile: :laughing:

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah, I (vaguely) remember drinking chang on occassion in Tibet and in other areas of the Himalaya mountains.

How about “tongba”? I had some nice tongba in Darjeeling, and in parts of Sikkim, if memory serves.

You’ve probably had it, Elegua, but I’ll post a quick Wiki-description here for others who might be interested.

"Tongba is a millet based alcoholic beverage found in the mountainous region of Nepal and the neighbouring Darjeeling district of India. Tongba is prepared by cooking and fermenting whole grain millet. The millet is then dried; traditionally it is stored under a roof for about six months. It is consumed in a unique way: the fermented millet is put in a container, also traditionally called a Tongba, and boiled water is poured in it to the brim. It is then left undisturbed for about five minutes. Once the five minutes has passed it is ready to drink; a fine bamboo straw with a blind end, but perforated on the side to act as a filter, is inserted into the container to suck out the warm water and alcohol from the millet grains. More hot water is added as the tongba becomes dry, and the process is repeated until the alcohol is exhausted.

Tongba is the traditional and indigenous drink of the Limbu people of eastern Nepal. To the Limbu, Tongba is like what Vodka is to Russians, Wine to French, Guiness to Irish and Saki to Japanese."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongba