Why does Taiwan produce the worst beer in Asia?

Possibly, but I don’t remember. My homestay dad preferred to drink Jonny Walker Black Label. :slight_smile: More than once I had to pilot the family Maruti home due to overindulgence.

I never went very far east. I live in Kathmandu for a year and I’ve traveled west & north. When I trekked it was from Jumla to RaRa lake and Simikote.

[quote=“Dark Horse”]Quentin wrote:
On a side note, I took a trip to Malaysia recently and they did not seem to have a national beer. In addition, all alcohol was ridiculously overpriced. The equivalent of a tall bottle of Taiwan beer (say Carlesburg) costs about NT$145. There is also no price difference between buying it in a 7-11 and buying it in a bar, both the same price. I could not for the life of me figure out why. And liquor prices were through the roof. A bottle of Johnny Walker was something like NT$1,500. Anyone know why this is?[/quote]

Malaysia is officially Muslim and wishes to discourage drinking (which is prohibited by the Muslim faith).

Correct me if I am wrong, but was it not Taiwan beer who gained a reward in Paris or Brussels years ago with their beer?
if so, it can’t be so bad. Of course, it can’t compete with any of ours, but it is drinkable , except it generates much more “gas” than other lagers or pilsners. Wonder why…

Ooh, tongba. That stuff is nice. I have a friend who was born in Kathmandu, and lived there until she was 12 (she’s half-French, half-Austrian and fluent in about 6 languages) who took me to a locals only place in Ktm that served tongba and not much else. Lovely drink (and lovely girl).

12?

[quote=“Dark Horse”]Quentin wrote:
On a side note, I took a trip to Malaysia recently and they did not seem to have a national beer. In addition, all alcohol was ridiculously overpriced. The equivalent of a tall bottle of Taiwan beer (say Carlesburg) costs about NT$145. There is also no price difference between buying it in a 7-11 and buying it in a bar, both the same price. I could not for the life of me figure out why. And liquor prices were through the roof. A bottle of Johnny Walker was something like NT$1,500. Anyone know why this is?[/quote]

If you want cheap booze in Malaysia, your best bet is Labuan, in Sabah. It’s a duty-free zone. That, plus its proximity to alcohol-free Brunei, means that there are liquor stores everywhere, fiercely competing with one another. Result: cheap booze!

[quote=“tommy525”]12?[/quote] what’s your point? Other than to reply to a 2 month old post. Why? :s

sorry mind strayed to the tray beers they serve in Hanover. A wooden tray with 12 cups (200cc each) of beer is how they drink it there. One tray is more then enough for me.

What? Are you comatose? The best beer in Taiwan is an ice cold draft Taiwan beer, drawn from a clean tap and served in a clean glass. The problem with draft beer in Taiwan is that too often it is drawn from a dirty tap and/or served in a dirty glass.

Bottled or canned, the best, reasonably priced beer in Taiwan is Taiwan beer. It is well-hopped, fresh, and consistent. Granted, a few years ago there was a problem with quality control with canned Taiwan beer. But, though I’m not a fan of the WTO, it does seem that entry into the WTO has had a positive effect on canned Taiwan beer. I actually seek out Taiwan beer, particularly draft Taiwan beer, when I go out.

I consider it my responsibility to try every beer that crosses my path. There are better beers available in Taiwan, but not many here in Kaohsiung, and they’re really expensive. But Taiwan Beer is hands down the best Asian beer in Taiwan. The Qingdao you buy here is brewed in Taiwan, and it sucks. The Qingdao brewed in China is better than that brewed here, but you can’t get it here anymore. All the other Asian beers you get here are stale. Beer is not like wine. It can’t sit on a shelf for years. Nor can it be subjected to varying temperatures.

You’ve got a mental block that is affecting your taste buds, my friend. I suggest a blind taste test. Keep in mind that Taiwan beer, unlike all beer, is best served very cold.

Every now and then I go for the sales on Asahi or whatever, but I’m always disappointed. I’ve given up on Kirin because it’s too heavy and flat. Ultimately, the non-Taiwan beers that make it here are old and stale, like a bitter old woman. I prefer a young, nubile Taiwan Beer.

A question for the beer “connaisseurs” among you:

Why do most imported beers have mostly longer-lasting and thicker foam’s and most Asian (all Taiwanese) beers haven’t?
(If you’re born in a country where the beers have no foam at all and must be served at least at 15 degrees Celcius, don’t even bother responding :laughing: )

And we assume the glasses are clean and washed upfront, so you can not blame it on the soap resdu or dirty glass.

I think Taiwan beer has gotten much better the last 15 years or so. I the pre-/mid- 90ties, the storage was a big problem, and the quality was very up and down - so much that I decided to pay overprice for any Heiniken or other foreign beer I could get my hands on. Then, on another hand, it was very good in restaurants that obviously did not let it stand out in the sun for long time.
I am still suspicious to the brown bottle, but Gold and Draft (when I can have draft) are favourites.

Pure, clean water is not always criteria for good tasting beer. My hometown had a very dubious watersource, with seepage from cattle, sheeps and human waste, and the beer was very good. When the water source was changed to a pure groundwater-source, the beer started tasting shit. Probably the receipt was based on the pollution to help the process, and the new, clean water sources needed other/longer processing. The brewery was bought up by coca Cola before they could improve their beer.

So, clean water is not always the only answer, the beer receipt and brewing is often based on local raw material, and can not always be successfully transferred to other water-sources.

I love beer and especially love stouts (Murphys and Guinness mainly), but I drink my fair share of lagers / ales and whenever my husband and I travel, we try out the local stuff. Taiwan beer was the only beer that has ever made me instantly feel ill. After 2, I had a wicked headache and felt sick to my stomach. That hasn’t happened to me since I had my first drink at the age of 17. I gave it a go again a few years later at a cricket match in Taiwan when there was no alternative, and felt the same way. The stuff is awful and I imagine full of unnatural crap you wouldn’t get in better beers.

I heard Taiwan Beer has rice as part of its ingredients. And like Sake (made from rice) can give some people a horrible headache . Maybe thats it?

[quote=“ceevee369”]A question for the beer “connaisseurs” among you:

Why do most imported beers have mostly longer-lasting and thicker foam’s and most Asian (all Taiwanese) beers haven’t?
(If you’re born in a country where the beers have no foam at all and must be served at least at 15 degrees Celcius, don’t even bother responding :laughing: )

And we assume the glasses are clean and washed upfront, so you can not blame it on the soap resdu or dirty glass.[/quote]

I’m sure, like all of us, you like good head. But Taiwan beer is better than any ‘standard’ imported beers, i.e., all Korean and Japanese beers (with Kirin a close second), Budweiser, Miller, anything from Busch (which is much better in the states), and whatever cheap German beers are here. Of course, if you’re willing to pay a premium, you can get a better beer than Taiwan beer. There are some great beers in Taiwan now. I just don’t feel like busting the bank every time I want a beer.

Maybe that’s why, that’s interesting! Maybe my body responds better to drinks made from hops…

Whatever the reason, I really can’t drink Taiwan Beer for the life of me! :sick:

Maybe that’s why, that’s interesting! Maybe my body responds better to drinks made from hops…

Whatever the reason, I really can’t drink Taiwan Beer for the life of me! :sick:[/quote]

I can get a bad headache from it too , if i drink more then one bottle. Also from SAke or Shao shing, which are made from rice. If i get drunk on spirits not made from rice, its ok. LIke cognac, wine or even scotch , gin or vodka.

but I do get bad hangovers from rice based drinks.

Whatever the reason, I really can’t drink Taiwan Beer for the life of me! :sick:[/quote]

Budweiser used to use rice as well. It probably still does.

72 posts were split to a new topic: It’s 2019, Does Taiwan Still Produce the Worst Beer in Asia?