Why doesn't the Taiwanese government sanction Chinese officials?

The Chinese government has announced sanctions against several Taiwanese officials, such as the President of the Legislative Yuan, the Vice-President of the Legislative Yuan and the Minister of Foreign Affairs.

So why doesn’t Taiwanese government reciprocate by sanctioning Chinese officials? I think Taiwan should reciprocally sanction the Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress, the Vice Chairmen of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress, and the Minister of Foreign Affairs and others by banning them from entering Taiwan.

Although these sanctions are meaningless in reality, I feel that Taiwan cannot lose to China in name only.

Because it’s a stupid tit for tat that changes nothing except strokes of a pen on paper. They sanctioned Taiwanese government officials that were never going to go to China and have no reliance on China.

What’s the point except for wasting time? These ‘sanctions’ only help the Chinese government feel good while it sucks its thumb in the corner throwing its toys out of the pram

This is like telling me I’m forbidden from drinking drain cleaner.

4 Likes

What sanctions? Can’t come to China? :rofl:

1 Like

What sanctions would they impose? Can’t do business with the Bank of Taiwan?

More symbolic than practical for sanctioned individuals.

Taiwan’s sanction will certainly not hurt the Chinese officials.

But I think it could show Taiwan’s awakening to absolutely no compromise with the Chinese Communist Party.

The entry into the People’s Republic of China of such persons is prohibited, as is communication, trade and cooperation between any organisation or individual in the People’s Republic of China and the sanctioned persons.

Yea ban a bunch of Taidu guys from going to China… like they really care.

I think the real issue is that Taiwan needs China a lot more than the other way around. A shit ton of Taiwanese is heading over to China. It’s a huge market that everyone is clamoring to be a part of.

More symbolic than practical for sanctioned individuals.

Taiwan’s sanction will certainly not hurt the Chinese officials.

But I think it could show Taiwan’s awakening to absolutely no compromise with the Chinese Communist Party.

Sanctions are largely symbolic anyways. Like the sanctions on Russia don’t really work and they find ways around to sell oil to their customers.

Waste of time then. They’re already not allowed to enter Taiwan.