Why don't electronic devices have fuses?

I have a Pioneer internet audio receiver that just broke down yesterday. This morning I tried to turn it on and nothing happened. Opened it to look for a fuse, no fuse there. What could be wrong? I know last night electricity got cut for a few hours, maybe went restarted they got a spike?

If it’s a pioneer receiver it might even be a bad DSP chip that you can’t do a thing about (I had Marco fix such a receiver, thinking that just replacing the bad DSP chip would do, but no, it probably required a new firmware too).

This is why I stay the hell away from any digital audio anything. I just use a Usher AU8500 integrated amp, and they work. If something broke it will be clear what broke and is easy to fix. There is nothing digital in this amp.

1 Like

I just called Pioneer in Neihu and they said they will look at it and confirmed they still had parts.

What are the chances of a fuse blowing and people not knowing how to replace a fuse?

What are the chances of there not being a fuse and the electronic equipment being damaged by an electric overload?

Perhaps the chances of the former occurring are greater than the chances of the latter.

I know a Sparky who used to charge £30 on top if the call out fee if it was just the fuse. His customers would say it was a scam and complain, but he had to test the appliance and the socket to also just to cover his liability insurance.

Depending on the manufacturing date it could be a surface mount fuse.

2 Likes

It’s probably not as in the old days when you just flip/pop out the fuse from a fuse holder

They usually do. For most mains-powered equipment it’s a safety requirement, and you won’t get it through LVD/UL approval without one. Sometimes a fusible resistor is substituted.

Power supply design is a bit shit these days. When something won’t switch on it’s invariably a power supply fault. Replacing the fuse probably would just result in another blown fuse.

1 Like

sense of foreboding increases

Yea, something tells me "it will cost 10,000nt to repair this thing, or you can buy a new pioneer receiver for 12,000.

Very, very high.

I have some speakers that have a fuse, and indeed some fuses in the car, where there is no supply in the UK. I had to order them from China. Think that says it all.