Why don't Taiwan avocadoes have any taste?

[quote=“Pein_11”]They are indeed slightly sweeter in Taiwan… in fact everything kinda is, pineapple is a bit less acidic than Cali/xico.
Now, if you could find anywhere in Taiwan where they sell the “Hass Avocado” …[/quote]

Costco sells Hass Avocados. Around 380 for five.

Yeah, but I only ever want one or two. Anytime someone wants to split a bag and sell me one or two, PM me to meet at the Neihu Costco around 6pm MWF.

Hass have been showing up in local markets lately as well.

Good to know, thanks!

Jason’s in 101 had single imported avocados for sale some time back. I remember that it worked out slightly more than what you would pay in COSTCO but not the precise number.

I found some good avocados yesterday on my way from
Minguan MRT along Minguan on my way to Florida bakery.
Go out the Minguan exit. Check the map but I think it was exit six. Out the exit turn right and go east on Minguan. About 1/2 way to Jongshan Rd. there is a woman with some nice solid but ripe “cados” and some that need to be set in the sun for a couple days. I don’t really recall what I paid but they were really good. The best I have found here. It’s just a street vendor.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but my parents love planting vegetables, plants, etc in their small garden, and I’m trying to think of Xmas gifts to send them from the US. Would sending plant seeds (maybe an avocado tree haha) from here in the US be a good idea?

Any tips would be great!

Earlier today I hit the small yet awesome organic market in Gongguan (Saturday afternoons only; located on Siyuan Street just west of Tingzhou Road adjacent to the Water Park). One of the vendors there brings up fruit and produce from Chiayi. I’ve never been disappointed with anything sold at that stand.

Today she had two types of avocados for sale: the large green guys that are much disliked by Forumosans–and some uneven brown guys that I had not yet seen. They are not Hass avocados (they’re bigger, with smoother skin). But they’re quite decent, even on their own. A nice surprise!

Guy

I bought a nice one in Wellcome a couple of weeks back. Haas, I think, although it wasn’t labelled. No idea if they still have them.

Do those huge avacodos ever turn black like a normal avacodo? How do you know they are ripe? Just squeeze like normal?

you mean their skin? or inside?
i use a combination of color and softness. when the skin turns black they are ready to eat, but if you miss the right moment they will be disgusting…

The skin on those gigantic ones I see sold in summer. I think they’re taiwanese grown.

I only ask because I see them sold here bright green which usually is only for super unripe avocados. Are the ones they’re selling just very unripe? Or does this variety not turn black on the outside?

They do after you keep them in room temperature for days or like a full week.

they do, i usually put them in a plastic bag with bananas, they ripe within a day or 2

1 Like

Ah ok so they just aren’t selling them ripened got it. Just was curious if it was just a different variety or something. But they’re just normal avacodos I guess. Just huge

If you buy one, prepare to be disappointed. They’re the texture of watery stool, and probably don’t taste much better.

3 Likes

Taiwan Avocado milk is good. From the fruit shops. Usually put sup dragon fruit and kiwi in as well

1 Like

I do that all the time at home. I think I should just have it as dinner and not eat anything else one of these days.

1 Like

So not good for homemade guacamole it sounds like

Correct.

1 Like